Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Since the Tandy II Ive been utilizing and repairing hardware components. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I deleted all of the files on my USB flash drive. Now my win

Customer Question

I deleted all of the files on my USB flash drive. Now my win 7 PC does not recognize my usb flash drive
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. It may be that since there are zero files on the drive, that autorun is not picking the drive up. Also, you didnt mentioned what you had tried, so lets start with some foundational steps. Connect the flash drive directly to a USB port on your computer. Now, click start, click computer. Under where it says devices with removable storage. You should see your CD drive and also your flash drive. Do you see it there? If so, its working and windows recognizes it. ( you just need to copy files onto it ) If you do not see it listed , or dont see anything listed in the devices with removable storage section, let me know. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see any devices with removable storage listed

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. lets try this. Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press ROnscreen should be a box that says Open / Run . In that box type in,devmgmt.msc and then hit enter.Now, inside the device manager windows that shows up, were looking for any device that says unknown or unrecognized device, and it may have a yellow warning mark next to it. If you see any of those devices, let me know what they are labeled as and what category they fall under.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no unrecognized devices show up. Or no yellow mark next to it

see below

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I cant see the picture below. What may have happened is the drives letter was deleted.. We may need to reassign a new letter to the drive. Are you familiar with the compmgmt.msc screen? If not, this page should walk you through the process. http://www.howtogeek.com/96298/assign-a-static-drive-letter-to-a-usb-drive-in-windows-7/ Just be careful that you do not make any changes on your internal hard drive, its just the external USB stick we want to focus on. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.