Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computer Hardware. MCSE, MCP, ICCP - Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, Alienware, Lenovo.
23511658

My canon color imagerunner c1030if had a paper jam, i removed

Customer Question

My canon color imagerunner c1030if had a paper jam, i removed the jam and now the printer will not print. The LCD screen shows the message "insert toner correctly" for all 4 toner cartridges.
Category: Computer Hardware
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have removed and properly inserted all the cartridges, open and closed the cover, and reset the machine by unplugging. Same message continues. I did notice though the the cover door on the right side doesnt seem closely evenly and flush. I've checked all the obvious stuff but still no luck.Also noticed that the toner cartridges dont feel like they are locking into place when i slide them in, should they lock in or just simply slide in and make contact with the rear?
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question. After inserting the cartridges into the printer, you should also turn the locking lever to the left. Make sure you turn it all the way until it stops, otherwise you will not be able to close the cover. That may be what is occurring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reply. The manual shows that you just have to slide the cartridge in and close the cover.
If the door is in closing, it would indicate that there is something not complete or not correct about the installation of the cartridges. But if you are sure they are installed correctly, The jammed paper may also be stuck in the fixing unit.Turn OFF the main power switch and disconnect the power cord.Lift the scanning platform until it is locked.Grasp and pull the tab (A) on the left side of the top cover to open the fixing cover.Move the control panel into the upright position.Press the blue tabs (A) and hold the fixing unit by the parts indicated with arrows.Remove the fixing unit with both hands.Place the fixing unit on a flat surface.Open the fixing unit cover.Remove the jammed paper.Install the fixing unit.Close the fixing cover.Lower the scanning platform.Reconnect the power cord and turn on the main power switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, i'll give that a shot on monday when i back at my office. is it ok to leave this help answer open until then?
Yes. In fact, you'll always be able to reply even if it says it's closed. At some point, I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service using the rating icons. But there's no rush.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so i removed the fixing unit and checked for any additional jam paper. I found nothing. What i did find out is when i close the cover the mechanism that triggers the toner flaps to open was not working so i taped the toners so they stay open and that allowed the cover to close properly but the error message "insert the XXXX toner correctly" still displays for all the colors and the printer still wont print.
So, the part that you had to tape down was the part on the printer that opens the flaps on the toner? That would explain the error. It's likely that one or more of the sensors that indicates the toners are in and the doors closed is not being triggered. It's possible that in clearing the jam something was broken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks, ***** ***** the flap on the toner cartridges that i had to tape to keep them open. its the flap that opens to expose the roller.
On all of them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes all 4, a mechanism connected to the cover pushes tabs (one on each toner cartridge) when you close the cover. which opens the flaps on the toner cartridges.
So it is the mechanism on the printer that is not opening the flaps correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes thats correct.
This means there is something physically broken on the printer.
If the part of the door that performs that function is broken, it will also fail to trigger the sensor that tells the printer it is closed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, i'll check what sensor contacts are on the printer for the cover and the cartridges.
It will very likely be the same "tab" that pushes the lever to open the flaps that is not triggering the sensors so I would concentrate on that specifically. Mike