Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Repairing computers for over 15 years
32989067

I have a gateway with windows 8 and used a disk called test

Customer Question

I have a gateway with windows 8 and used a disk called test disk, and now get error no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the model Gateway you have please?
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sx2865
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
The reason it gives this error is it cannot see the hard disk in the computer.
I want to make sure the boot order is set correctly.
Start the computer and keep tapping F12 until you get to the boot order.
There check for HDD and select it and tell me if it now starts please
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same results
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
It is the hard disk that has faulted. It is not able to communicate with the hard disk and then tries to load a boot disk.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to have the hard disk replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are WRONG AND OF NO HELP! I downloaded last night a disk called active boot, and all boots ok and shows the partition has 488 gig, and the other partition only has a few mb. so the partition is messed up, not the hard drive.I can with this trial of active boot, i can load programs, copy paste, delete, all the functions of the computer working, What I need is someone that understands partitions.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
it does actually boot ok?
You have only told me it is giving the error
no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed
On ever step we have done. If there is added things that have occurred, then please actually tell me. Please remember, I cannot see the results of my actions, only what you have told me, so please tell me exactly what has occurred.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK without the active boot disk, it shows the partitions are messed up, without the active boot disk, the computer gives the ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed, message. This is because the boot is on a partition that the computer cant access or get to, I dont know how for sure, I only know that this all started when I ran a disk called disktest, which I now know has to do with partitions, after it ran, i started getting this error, before the computer ran fine, I thought this test disk would check my disk for errors etc, and it actually reset partitions somehow, probably something I did for sure.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thank you for detailing the problem. Going forward, please be descriptive in your responses to me as I am relying on you to relay the results.
We will see if we can get to the recovery partition.
Power off the computer
Power it on and keep tapping F11
Are you able to get to the recovery manager? If not, what message do you get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly the same message, nothing different, hit f11 and restarted twice, no change
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you are going to need a windows disk as you have lost the recovery partition that had the windows installation on it.
Do you have one available there?
If not, which version of windows was installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont have windows disk, one did not come with it, I have windows 8
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, it does not come with a disk as its on the recovery partition which you removed.
you are going to need to get a windows disk in order to put windows back onto the computer.
If you are unable to borrow one from a friend, then you will need to purchase one, which you can do from here.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?Action=DisplayProductSearchResultsPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msusa&keywords=windows%208.1&sortby=score%20descending&filters=
Then you will need to make a DVD from it.
Once you have this, you put it into the computer and start the computer, tapping F12 until you get to the boot menu. Then choose the DVD and perform the installation of windows to put it back onto the hard disk.
But if the hard drive is showing a partition of 488GB then you now just need to get windows installed back onto the partition for it to run again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, unfortunately, you have not told me anything I didnt already know, I guess I was hoping for someone that knew about partitions, because with the trial version of active boot i can acces both partitions and change, delete, create, mount, and many other option if i knew what i was doing with the partitions, but I am not the EXPERT, that is why I paid the 36 dollars for an expert dealing with partitions. Unfortunelty you guys COULD NOT HELP WITH MY PROBLEM, so no solved for me. Thanks Have a Great Day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i request a refund?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you knew you had to reinstall windows onto the computer, why then did you post the question?
Yes you can access the partition, but its blank, you need to put windows back onto it. If you already knew this, then what is your actual question if everything told to you you were aware of? Sorry but its a confusing statement.
If you know all of this, then tell me what your actual question is then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems simple to me, I want to return the partition that contains the windows startup back to its proper partition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a different EXPERT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.boot-disk.com/ Site to acquire boot disk that permits a non starting computer access to partitions with options to view, change, create, modify, etc I can see that one partition has 243 MB primary NTFS, and the other partition has 466 giglogical\unknown, here lies the problem i think.