Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Repairing computers for over 15 years
32989067

Can you tell me how you enable the boot devices in Bios? All

Customer Question

Can you tell me how you enable the boot devices in Bios? All are in parentheses which means they are disabled. Thus, when I try to boot to load Windows (The HD is new) the message on the screen is that the device is unavailable.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
You will need to disable Secure Boot for this.
To do this, Power down your computer. Wait 10 seconds and power it up. Press F2 at the Dell UEFI BIOS Screen.
This will take you to the BIOS setup
Press the [→] key and then the [enter] key to get to the Boot Tab
Press the [↓] key until you get to Secure Boot and press [Enter].
Change from Enabled to Disabled.
Once SecureBoot is disabled you can enable Legacy Boot if you want for example if you want to install 32 Bit Windows.
Press the [↓] key until you get to Boot List Option and press [Enter].
Change from UEFI to legacy.
Press F10 to save and exit. When prompted select yes by moving the [←] key and press enter.
The system will reboot.
The F12 boot menu will now allow booting of legacy devices and 32 Bit Windows so you can then boot from a device
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Dell Bios does not have Legacy VS. UEFI ... The Security tab in the Boot Menu page has only the option to Change System Password ***** Change Administrator Password. (after above those choices the note is that there is no password ***** either installed.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I boot the message is No available device
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the error is because the boot devices -- though recognized by Bios in terms of being labeled correctly with the correct amount t of memory etc. -- are in parentheses. The BIos info on the right side says when the device is in parenthesis it is disabled.
I want to know how to enable the hard drive and CD
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If its saying no available device on all boot devices then the Bios is at fault. If there is no option to change the secure boot then this wont be causing it and it will be a faulty Bios, which will require the motherboard to be replaced.
It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Thank you