Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Hardware Expert
50836188

I recently purchased a new Dell Ultrabook with Windows 8. I

Customer Question

I recently purchased a new Dell Ultrabook with Windows 8. I can't get the computer to recognize thumb drives. The computer sees the thumb drives, but it says the driver for them are not installed. I've drilled down the the hardware menu for the thumbdrive
and have tried to update the driver, but the computer says there are no drivers on the web for it. I've tried with two thumb drives, both of which work fine on older computers, which just automatically install the correct driver (I believe they are finding
the driver right on the thumbdrive). What do I need to do to make Windows 8 find the correct driver?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Hi! In the device manager, do you see any yellow exclamation marks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. And it says that that the driver is not installed.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any USB devices that are working properly? (Such as keyboard, mouse, etc)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have not connected any other USB devices in the past few days, because I am out of town. However, I did connect devices to this computer before I left home. I recall that when I connected a hard drive, it immediately loaded the driver.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Can you attach a different USB device such as keyboard or mouse to see if it works in the usb port? Also, have you tried different USB ports on the computer for your flash drives? Are you plugging the USB drive directly into the computer or into a USB hub?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried both usb ports with the same results. I have tried two different thumb drives from different manufacturers. I have successfully connected through the usb to my external hard drive, which automatically loaded its driver.When I plug in a thumb drive, the computer recognizes it with a tone. The drive shows up in the system, but with an explanation point and a note that says the driver is not installed.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Log on to Windows 8 computer with the administrator account.Make sure that the computer is connected with an active Internet connection.Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop window.Once on the desktop screen, hover mouse to the bottom right corner of the window.From the displayed options, click Settings.On the Settings pane, click Control Panel.On the opened Control Panel window, click Hardware and Sound.On Hardware and Sound window, click Device Manager under Devices and Printers category from the right pane.On Device Manager window, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllerscategory.Once expanded, right-click the USB controller that is to be updated.From the context menu that appears, click Update Driver Software to update the driver of the selected USB controller. On the displayed box, click Search automatically for updated driver softwareto make the Windows to search for the updated driver from the Internet.Wait till the selected driver gets updated from the Internet and on the next page, click Close.Close Device Manager window, when done.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard back from you in a while. Please let me know if you need help with anything else or if you have anymore questions. If you do not, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.