Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Repairing computers for over 15 years
32989067

I have a Lenovo ideacentre B520. I was getting sound until

Customer Question

I have a Lenovo ideacentre B520. I was getting sound until a few days ago. I do not get sound from the speakers, but do if I plug in a headset or external speakers. What's wrong?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you close all programs please.
Then click start, type in
system restore
press enter
Follow the onscreen steps and perform a system restore choosing a date when the speakers were last working.
Once done, let the restore complete and tell me if the speakers are now functioning.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. How do I get back to you?
2. I would have to go so far back that I will loose a lot of updates and other stuff. Is that an issue?
3. I did not select a trial program so I assume I pay for only this communication, correct? And only if satisfied, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4. My restore points only seem to go to 6/19/15. My last speaker time may have been 6/19/15.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant 6/24/15 for how far back.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
1) You reply to me here on this site like you are doing now.
2) No, as these can be installed again
3) correct, you only pay the deposit you already made, which can refunded if you are not satisfied.
4. Choose that restore point please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did a restore to the 24th of June and it didn't work. What now? ANy ideas?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I want to rule out any corruption on the computer that can cause this.
do the following please
Download CC Cleaner (free) from here
CC Cleaner
(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)
Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.
Once done, restart the computer
Than
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then check if the speakers are functioning.
If not, tell me when you downloaded the sound driver from please, which link you used.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do so. I downloaded the driver from lenovo support using the version for windows 7. I will do as asked and get back to you in a few.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It took a couple of hours to complete and the office closed. I let it run. When I came in this morning, no sound. I get the feeling like the machine thinks that an earphone is plugged in when it is not because the ear jack does work when an external speaker is plugged in.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Put a match into the headphone jack and jiggle it around as there is a switch that directs the sound to speakers or headphones and this may be stuck.
Do this and tell me if you can get it to release please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hold on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says that I just unplugged a device from the jack
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we have to do a reinstall of windows to rule out a software issue and confirm it as a hardware problem,
First, back up your data files off the computer as this process removes all files and programs and returns it to new (programs you will need to install again).
Then please power off the computer, power it on and press and release the F2 key repeatedly right after turning on the computer until the Lenovo Rescue System open, then select OneKey Recovery, then continue to reset the computer.
Once complete, setup the computer again and tell me please if the sound is now functioning via the speakers.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to do this this evening as I am an attorney an d cannot stop work today. Is that OK?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all.