Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I have an HP w2408

Customer Question

I have an HP w2408 monitor and a Pavilion 500 PC computer. I was gone over the weekend and turned off my computer. when I returned today and started it up, my sound wasn't working.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.
May I set up a quick remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you with this sound issue?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=553df55a-4fd0-4fb0-b755-1818ba82f116
Click 'I agree', then download the remote tool when prompted. An 'Elsinore Screen Connect' file will be downloaded by your browser (if using Firefox, click on the down arrow button at the top-right of your browser, to view your downloads).
OPEN/RUN the file from your downloads, and I'll be connected.
If you face any issues, just reply back to me below.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Yes, did you receive my last reply? Here it is, once again:
Let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link:
Click 'I agree', then download the remote tool when prompted. An 'Elsinore Screen Connect' file will be downloaded by your browser (if using Firefox, click on the down arrow button at the top-right of your browser to view your downloads).
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello??
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, are you still getting my messages?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I click on the link you provided I get an Error 404 message.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I closed out the remote session as you seemed to have gone offline then. Please use the following (new) remote session this time:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=008afc8e-d772-42f3-8d85-54c7c7d4f698
Thank you.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the remote session. Do let me know how it goes. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The restore didn't work because my antivirus software disrupted it. What should I do now?
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, okay. Now, please carry out the system restore in SAFE MODE this time, as follows:
First off, restart the system and tap down the F8 key repeatedly at bootup (just after the system powers back on) until the Advanced Options menu comes up.
Select 'Safe Mode', then press ENTER twice to boot into Windows in that mode.
After booting up, go to Start, type in System Restore in the search field and press ENTER.
In the System Restore window, click Next.
Now, TICK the "Show more restore points checkbox, and then choose an available restore point dated BEFORE you started having this issue with sound.
6. The restore operation will now proceed, after which the system will automatically restart. This should roll back the system back to the restore point you selected earlier.
You may get back to this question page anytime later on through your emails received from JustAnswer.
Do keep me posted. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no luck. Message: System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. .....An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070005)I tried several times. Turned off the Firewall. Started in Safe Mode. Something is interfering, but I can't figure out what it could be.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I had to go off for a while.
Hmm, this is a tricky one - and uninstalling/reinstalling the audio driver did not make a difference either. Let me open up your question to our other experts now, who will be able to assist you further with this issue.
Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another computer tech; I will try to troubleshoot your computer's sound issue further.
Are you using an HDMI cable? Or a VGA or DVI cable?
If you have desktop speakers, or headphones/headsets, then can you test connecting them to the computer, does the sound?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I didn't see your email until just now. I worked through the HP support forum tonight and found the solution in the sound system software DTS Sound+ . I reset the Device Notification and now it works. Thank you anyway.
Great. Do you have any other computer question/issue I can help with today? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but thank you.
You're welcome. We're canceling / refunding your deposit. If you need help with anything else in the future, please come back any time. Thank you for the update.