Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a 5.5 year old Dell Studio XPS 450/900 that is

Customer Question

I have a 5.5 year old Dell Studio XPS 450/900 that is failing. I contacted Dell and its new systems do not offer Blu-Ray burner! (except for business PC's that offer less for the money and more geared to the office). Do you know of a major manufacturer
that does off Blu-Ray burners built-in? If I buy a new Dell and ask that it come without an optical drive can I have my current burner inserted in the slot. I do not recall the software that came with the Dell for BS except for Power DVD and Cyberlink? regardless,
I now use and have reg numbers for download for TMPGEnc 4 editing and authorizing software for editing and buring blur-ray files. Is that sufficient, and I read where I need to install a codec for Blu-Ray. Not sure what that means or whether that would be
a problem for me when switching my Blu-Ray burning drive to new Dell. Thanks!
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.You should be able to transfer a used and proven-working Blu-Ray burner into the place of an optical drive and have it work. But that would require:1. that the Windows version on the PC is not incompatible with the Blu-Ray drive, or2. that the drivers you have or can find for the Blu-Ray drive are compatible with the Windows version on the PC.As for a 'codec' for Blu-Ray, that would be needed if you want to play-back any movies (or perhaps, music also) from a Blu-Ray disc. But, please let me know what the maker and the model number of the Blu-Ray drive you have to swap into a new PC. And I will research and tell you about its specific compatibility issues. (It might help if you also mentioned what Windows versions the Blu-Ray drive in question worked with, formerly.)
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
(Of course, if that is enough information for you and you need nothing further, please rate my Answer. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll see what I can find. I believe the new Dell's use Windows 8.1. I know my purchased Blu-ray software will not work with 64-bit, but will accept Windows 7 or 8. I have no idea about the drivers at the moment. Would those have come with the PC, or had to installed via a disk? If I did not have the disk, could I download these via the Dell web site. And I do not even know what a codec is and what I would need for this. I am also going to check for other manufactures for a built-in Blu-Ray player burner. Dell reps told me Blu-Ray burners are rare for people to want (hard to believe when more Blu-Ray more popular now than 5.5 years ago!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Could you please look at the Blu-Ray drive, at the manufacturer's label on it, and tell me what the maker name (such as Toshiba) and the model number would be, for that drive?
With that information, I should be able to advise you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to find the original invoice, or perhaps locate via Del website with Service Tag number and get back to you. Thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I looked up the specifications for your model of old Dell computer, and it does not specify maker and model # ***** the Blu-Ray drive option, unfortunately. That's why I have to ask you for it - I assumed you had the drive right there, out of the computer, and could look on the label on it, for the information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drive is in the PC; can I tell from that?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
You'd have to dismount the drive from the PC. This can be done, if you know how to
1. open the case.
2. undo the latches - or in the old days, screws - that hold the drive in, either on the sides of the frame the disc drive is in, or from the front of that frame, perhaps.
3. pull out the drive a bit, until you can see the label on the top surface. The cable that plugs into it at the back may hold it in, though, in which case you'd have to undo the cable first.
The label on the top will tell what maker, and model number, the drive is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot risk screwing up my PC to get an answer to a question about a potential future problem.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Well, then... when you have the new PC, and have backed up all the data off the old XPS PC, then you can remove the Blu-Ray drive you have, check its maker and model #, see if your present version of Windows is compatible with it, and has drivers for it perhaps built-in and included in your present version of Windows or downloadable from Windows Update.
Or, since removing a drive is a simple task, you could get any half-competent person about, who has done that sort of thing before, to do the job quite safely - with the power plug unplugged from the Dell XPS first, of course!