Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ years of work experience.
30759776

I have a simpletech 1tb external harddrive (model no 96300-41001-073)

Customer Question

I have a simpletech 1tb external harddrive (model no 96300-41001-073) that I cant connect to. it turns on, i can hear it spin up, but it doesn't show up in my computer or disk management. ive tried 2 computers, doesnt work. it used to work on this same computer
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
In this case, the drive board may be faulting. In such cases, you have a couple options to choose from. One is you could purchase another SimpleTech 1TB drive of the same make & model, remove the drive from your current case, and put it in the new case. Another option is you can remove the hard drive from the case and use one of the following devices to connect the drive to a computer directly: http://www.walmart.com/ip/StarTech.com-USB-3.0-to-2.5-SATA-III-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Cable-w-UASP-Storage/35118076
If the issue is with software, I may be able to analyze your system quickly and see if we can get it working. I can remote into your system to do this, if you wish.
If you need anything else in the future, please let me know.
Thank you for your time today.
- Jason