WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  IT Professional with over 15 years of computer hardware experience in repair and engineering
21171802

How do I play a DVD on my asus when it runs windows 8?

Customer Question

Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to assist you.
Are you using regular DVD's?
Have you tried downloading VLC media player? That is pretty much the best free player available and can play many formats.
If you can, tell me more about what problem you are coming across when trying to play the DVD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am using regular dvds I haven't tried that but I will when I get the chance which should be soon. I'll let you know if it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not working with vlc media player
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what could be holding you back. I would have to do a remote session with you to see what happens when you try to run the DVD. There isn't a message displayed giving you an error or reason why it will not playback?
Let me know when you will be back online and if we can do a remote session. I'll be using Teamviewer. If you want to get a head start an download that from www.teamviewer.com that would make things go quicker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well its trying to read it like its a regular file from like a flash drive. my computer plays videos that are downloaded say on a terradrive but it wont read the actual dvds but it does read regular disks for like installing a printer.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
I am going to open your question up to the other experts. I feel it might require some additional investigation and I am not going to be available for a while. Someone else should contact you to continue the session. Thank you.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I can help with the issue.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
First, try to open the Computer folder and right-click on the DVD drive. Then choose Play.Let me know if that is what you see. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't show the option for play. it shows open. its like its trying to open it like its an actual file and its trying to read everything on it like theyre separate files.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Is the DVD you have a backup of a movie DVD or is it the original DVD?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an original
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Try this guide first, on the bottom of the page is a troubleshooter to fix the issue.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/play-a-cd-or-dvd-in-windows-media-player