Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computer Hardware. MCSE, MCP, ICCP - Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, Alienware, Lenovo.
23511658

We have a number of Acer Aspire One netbooks that are about

Customer Question

We have a number of Acer Aspire One netbooks that are about 3-5 years old and a number of them are having this error message appear on start up. "Harddisk Security Primary Master WDC WD1600BEVT-222CTLock" I need help in fixing this problem
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.
This means that the notebook has somehow had the hard drive locked. This is basically irreversible. It is usually done by the owner of the laptop but if the laptops were sitting around for quite some time it's possible that the internal batteries ran completely flat and it lost some of its settings. There are sometimes default settings you can enter here but there are very few that actually work.
On this type of lock which is on a Western Digital Dr., there is usually a failsafe mechanism where if you type in the incorrect password ***** more than five times, it will allow you to reformat the hard drive and set it up fresh to start over again. Course, it does this to prevent existing data on the drive from being captured by someone who is not authorized to access it. So I would suggest trying several wrong attempts at the password ***** see that get you any further than you are. If not or if you still have questions, please let me know.