Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a Macbook Pro and I was trying to plug in my external

Customer Question

I have a Macbook Pro and I was trying to plug in my external hard drive and the USB port keeps on rejecting it - it keeps on showing one second and then saying disk not ejected properly the next...I tried another USB device and got the same reaction (so it isnt the hard drive) I restarted the computer and still the same issue!?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your drive issue. Do you have another computer at home where you can plug these external drives to see if they work there in another computer?
Please let me know so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes - and they work fine on the other computers.

I also just discovered that if my MacBook is charging it keeps on rejecting the external hard drive...however, if I have my MacBook not plugged in they work fine...hope that makes sense?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kathy,
Thank you for writing back with that information.
When the drive is ejected on its own, when you try to plug it again, are you getting any error message about the disk not being ejected properly?
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes...

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Katy,
Thank you for writing back with that confirmation. Have you tried the SMC reset and the PRAM reset?
If not, please try these steps since they correct disks and power related issues.
SMC RESET
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL attached peripherals.
3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
4. Release the power button.
5. Attach the computers power cable.
6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
After doing the reset above, please test if the problem is gone. If not, please proceed to the PRAM test described below.
PRAM RESET
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.
Then test if the problem is gone.
Keep me posted.
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
How is it going? Have you tried the SMC and PRAM reset procedures that I gave you?
Please let me know your results so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess