Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a iomega StorCenter ix2 external hard drive and the

Customer Question

I have a iomega StorCenter ix2 external hard drive and the red light with the ! started flashing, i bought a new usb hard drive and wanted to transfer tie infrmation , it starts the transfer but is very slow, after a while it just quits, just wondering if anyone can help me get the files off.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I suggest that your hard drive (the defective one) has a heat-related electronics problem.
This means, in the very short version, that to get data off it, you will need to keep it cool. Do the copying of data off of it, in a cold room. If you are in a climate where it never gets cold and you have an air conditioner, direct a fan at it, at very least, with it propped up a bit off the table or other surface, so air can circulate around it freely. And/or, do the copying off of data, on a cool night, with cooler night air in the room.
In a cool climate, or with an air conditioner, just turn the air conditioner up! and keeping it cool should be no problem. If it is still a problem, when the disc copying quits, just turn it Off for 1 hour or more, before resuming, to let it cool completely.
(Heat-related problems are common enough, and always can be told quite simply, if an electronic device fails once it has been running for a while, instead of showing failure when first started up.)