Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

Sound problems on Ubuntu via HDMI. Get audio with MythFrontend

Customer Question

Sound problems on Ubuntu via HDMI. Get audio with MythFrontend via GEForce GT610 HDMI, but nothing from Kodi.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
Not sure what specific instructions you have tried so far, but you can try upgrading your sound drivers to fix the sound issue.
You will need to make sure to uninstall the previous driver first before trying a new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I was hoping to give you access and work with you. Given it is audio, I will need to tell you if it is working. Shall I set up SSH access for you?
BTW, it is morning here, I just woke up...
Thanks
Garry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A bit more details; Right now I have audio in Myth via HDMI, but no native audio (e.g. Youtube) and no audio in Kodi. After following the instructions to reset the audio, it worked through Kodi, but stopped again after the next reboot. I tried a number of things and again got it to work but it was coming through the PC speaker, but happily changed to HDMI and worked. Stopped after next reboot again. Now I can't get it to work at all. Yes, in hindsight I should have kept better track of what I was changing... :- ) Anyway, wife has been away and is back tonight, so I have a deadline :- ). I have also grabbed another PC and am going to try a fresh install of the Kodi front end.
Thanks
Garry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I got this in a chat box "Thanks. Now just confirm your settings and we're almost done." What is it you want?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried to up the price as per the email request, but it keeps coming baclk to this page. I am happy to pay a bit more.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Garry,
Unfortunately due to time constraints I will have to open the question to the other experts. Someone should reply back here shortly.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Does your system have a Mixer?
If there is no Mixer function, my idea, at a glance at your problem, is that you could have two audio applications trying to access the sound device at the same time. If that sound device has no Mixer, it may well refuse the second audio application to apply to it.
In other words, one audio application may 'lock' the sound device.
This can be tested by trying to produce sound output from any two other applications than the two you mention. E.g. two very simple audio applications. First verify that one works alone, then the second works alone, then try them both (if they both work, when producing output alone.)
Also try killing one audio application, the one that works. Then trying the other. (I am assuming that having the application entirely stopped and out of the memory too, running no process, will free up the sound device.) If the other that formerly didn't work now works, well, there you are.
If it turns out to be some other sort of problem, let me know please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I have spent hours and am over it.. Happy to pay you a fair rate for whatever time it takes you to fix it. Can we arrange a time to grant you ssh access? Thanks
Garry
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If you need further advice from me, let me know.
If you wish me to Opt Out in favor of Expert Pete, let me know and I will.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, a friend just dropped in and fixed it using alma mixer. Thanks. How to I cancel this request? Regards. Garry
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi - Allow me to quote from my offered Answer - which you seem somehow to have missed:
Does your system have a Mixer?
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/computer-hardware/93psu-sound-problems-ubuntu-via-hdmi-audio-mythfrontend.html#ixzz3b6hnM3jX
http://www.justanswer.com/computer-hardware/93psu-sound-problems-ubuntu-via-hdmi-audio-mythfrontend.html
is where you can see my offered Answer, which I posted in response to your question, about 13 hours ago.
Please rate my Answer - favorably - so that I may be paid for the work that I did on your question, and the correct answer which I offered. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.