Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

How to update my computer

Customer Question

how to update my computer
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, do you have a Mac or Windows PC? John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
windows pc
Thanks, ***** ***** opt out so an expert better suited can handle this question. When one becomes available, they will contact you. Please do not reply back until you hear from them as it may delay the transition. Thanks and good luck! John
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today. Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im ready
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back. Are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
windows xp i believe
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. Can you please confirm if indeed you are using Windows XP? Please right-click on "My Computer" then click Properties and you shall see there if indeed you are using Windows XP or not.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I need to confirm if indeed you are using Windows XP since Microsoft already stopped releasing updates for Windows XP starting last year, which means, there will be no updates coming for Windows XP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes im using windowsxp
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that confirmation. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, Microsoft already stopped releasing updates for Windows XP. Therefore, you cannot update anymore.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay thanks
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Please give me a moment to get you the Microsoft link about that
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Here is the link from Microsoft:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry about your issue but it was Microsoft who ended Windows XP support and that means no updates will be released anymore. The page that I also gave you will show you the recommended options from Microsoft.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
There are 2 options recommended by Microsoft as you can see in the link I gave you. The first one, is to continue to use your Windows XP computer as it will still be usable since XP is a stable system. In fact, a lot of people liked XP compared to the newer versions Microsoft released.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
The only downside in continuing to use Windows XP is the lack of updates as Microsoft already stopped the XP support that means a stop in releasing updates as well.The second option is to upgrade your Windows XP to Windows 8, the latest Microsoft operating system but this option will depend if your computer hardware is compatible with Windows 8. The link that I gave you shows you the upgrade advisor to test your current system if you will be allowed to upgrade to Windows 8.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
But personally, I highly recommend keeping your Windows XP regardless of the lack of updates, just keep your antivirus software up-to-date for security purposes.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I do not recommend upgrading your Windows XP to Windows 8 since most old programs installed in Windows XP will not run in Windows 8. If you really want to upgrade to Windows 8, just make sure that you run the Upgrade Advisor since it will tell you which programs will not run in Windows 8 and from there, you can decide whether to upgrade or not.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
If you are planning to buy a new computer in the future, then you will surely get the new Windows 8 and you can move your files from Windows XP to Windows 8 easily. I hope that helped. Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess