Shefin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Working as Tech support specialist with a world famous computer manufacturer
15907069

I have a dell precision 390 the computer turn on but wont show

Customer Question

I have a dell precision 390 the computer turn on but wont show at the monitor, a friend told me that it should be the video card, before i buy a video card i need to know if the hard drive is working is there a way to check the hard drive? i took one of the computer cover and there is a light a the motherbord, the cd work
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer :

I am

Shefin :

Do you have a separate video card for your computer on the motherboard?

Customer :

yes

Shefin :

And you do not have a video port on the motherboard. Right?

Customer :

dont know, i see the video card connected to the motherboard

Shefin :

Could you please check if you have a VGA port on the motherboard itself?

Customer :

no there is not

Shefin :

Could you please remove the video card from the computer?

Shefin :

I mean from the motherboard?

Customer :

ok let me try

Shefin :

Okay.

Shefin :

Please let me know when you removed the video card.

Customer :

ok is out

Shefin :

Turn on the computer and let me know the result.

Shefin :

Check if you are getting the power LED, fan and other lights.

Customer :

yes it turn on, the motherboard has a yellow light, the power led the light looks green now, the cd work

Shefin :

If so, the issue is with the video card.

Shefin :

There is nothing to worry about the hard drive.

Shefin :

Just replace the video card.

Customer :

it is easy to install a video card the sofware

Shefin :

Yes.

Shefin :

You will get the driver disc with the video card.

Shefin :

Insert the disc, run it.

Shefin :

Since you were using a video card before, you may not have to change anything in BIOS.

Customer :

what is the minimun required to be able to work with google earth

Shefin :

I suggest you purchase a good graphic card. However, graphic card needs minimum system requirements.

Customer :

Thanks

Shefin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: Working as Tech support specialist with a world famous computer manufacturer
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i did install the new video card, but not input signal to the monitor

Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

May I know the new video card you are using?

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Radeon hd 5450

Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

First, check the computer meets the below requirements.

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
  • 400 Watt or greater power supply recommended
  • Minimum 1GB of system memory

Also, try a different VGA or HDMI cable to connect the computer to the monitor.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I dont know the pci express is, the slot in the computer yes card is there, power supply max output is 375 watts, i did try different monitor connection and not, the computer is dual core, motherbord has 4 slots for memory they are filled with 512 memory

Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

As I said in the chat, graphic card needs minimum requirements. However, i would suggest you remove the card and reinstall it again. If you have different ports, please try that too.

Please check the picture of PCI express slot below.

graphic

PCIe shows PCI Express.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I reconnected not work, it does have the pci express in black color, only have one blue slot for the video card and the other 3 white slots

Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Forget the color. Is it the same PCI express slot?

Are you getting the same response from the computer with the old card?

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes is the same pci slot, yes same response

Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

It seems that it might be a compatibility issue. You may need to upgrade the power supply in order to get the issue resolved.

I would suggest you contact ATI support at 1-877-284-1566, in order to get more information about the video card.

Thank you.
S H E F I N