Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

My daughter is a college student and has a laptop and a TV

My daughter is a college student and has a laptop and a TV both with HDMI and used this to watch Netflix, etc. The TV only has one HDMI port and it has gone bad. For w hile, they could wiggle it a little to watch TV and now the cable won't even stay plugged into the port. So, she went out and bought some component cables to connect her cable box and now all is fine. She's wondering is there any kind of adapter (or any method) to connect her HDMI cable from her laptop to the component inputs on her TV? Thanks!
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Chris R. replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX and I would be happy to assist you today.

Do you by chance know the model number of the TV or the laptop? Does she just want to be able to watch streaming video from Netflix on the TV?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The TV is a Panasonic TH42PX50U and her latop is an HP. Not sure of the model but it's about a year old.

Thank you.

One moment while I look into that.
Ok,

Here is the problem. The HDMI is digital and Component is Analog. So in order to get the HDMI to a component you would need an adapter that would convert the digital signal from the HDMI to analog for TV input. There are a few floating around but everything I have seen seems to be inferior and people report problems. Now on the other hand, there is the regular VGA monitor port on many laptops and they are actually analog. There might be a better chance of getting a VGA to component working properly than to get an HDMI to component. I can look into this more for you to see if this is a viable option, but I would need you to ask your daughter if there is a little blue monitor connector on the laptop. These are the older style monitor connectors that have been around for years. I can upload a picture for you if need be.

Also, depending on what her exact expectations are she might be able to just avoid using the laptop all together. For example, if she is mainly interested in streaming video from Netflix, Hulu, or any of the other streaming services then she might be able to just connect a cheap DVD player or even a Playstation 3 to the TV. I have a Playstation 3 and Netflix is available on it. There are also stand alone streaming boxes such as ROKU that you connect to the TV and you can watch streaming video. The problem with ROKU at least is that for HD quality video they require you to connect via the HDMI connector. If she was ok with watching standard definition video you can go that route. Personally I can't watch standard video quality anymore lol so she might feel the same. Anyway, please get back to me with more detail about exactly what she is hoping to accomplish, and if the laptop has the regular VGA monitor connection.

Thank you.

Chris R
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience: BSBA CIS, A+ Certified