david
david, Hardware Guru
Experience:  6+ years of hardware expertise
65089077

I have just uninstalled my Radeon 5750. I installed the new

I have just uninstalled my Radeon 5750.
I installed the new Radeon 7850 DD 2gb on the motherboard and thought I downloaded the correct drivers, but the auto detect detected my Imbedded Radeon 4200.
i also uninstalled this driver and removed it it device manager.
How do I proceed?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  david replied 10 months ago.

david :

i would be glad to help

david :

try these steps first to resolve your problem

david :

1. go to control panel > programs and features > uninstall all AMD programs and features

david :

2. restart PC

david :

3. go to control panel > device manager > uninstall all devices in display adapter category

david :

4. restart PC

david :

5. go to control panel > device manager again > under display adapters, if two are listed, right-click and disable the one that is the on board 4200

david :

6. download latest AMD graphics drivers from amd.com

david :

7. install drivers

david :

8. restart PC

david :

that should force windows to use the latest drivers on your 7850 and ignore the 4200 as a display device

david :

you may want to print these instructions

david :

let me know if they help or not

david :

i will try to get back to you as soon as i can

JACUSTOMER-d5vur5bq- :

I've already tried all that! tWICE

david :

ok, can you tell me what isn't working currently?

david :

is the 7850 listed in device manager?

david :

can you see your desktop when you have your monitor cable plugged into the 7850?

david :

are you trying to use both the 4200 and the 7850 to run two or more monitors?

Customer:

I cannot see anything with monitor cable plugged into 7850. After I took out my 5750 radeon and installed the 7850, I powered up and the cooling fans worked but no video signal.

Customer:

I plugged into the low res port to try and repeat the uninstall re-install process. Plugged into the 7850 again... no video.

Customer:

7850 does not come up in device manager at any time.

Customer:

I finally got pissed and re-installed the 5750, and it still works just like it is supposed to.

Customer:

I really need to get the 7850 working. My computer is a HP Pavilion P6230Y with AMD Phenom II quad core 2.6gh with 8gb DDR3 RAM

Customer:

PLease help!!

Customer:

The HD 4200 I want to stay disabled, and use the 7850 as Primary. I even checked BIOS to make sure the PCI/e was being used as the primary video.

Customer:

I'm really stumped.

david :

i see. do you have the secondary power connector hooked up to your power supply using a direct connection or using the double sata power adapter?

david :

if the device manager isn't detecting it, then it must be either loosely connected, or not receving enough power

david :

do you know the brand and model of your motherboard as well as the brand, model, and power rating of your power supply?

Customer:

6 pin connector to Graphics card comes directly out of the power supply

Customer:

Motherboard is HP Pavilion P6230Y AMD Phenom II Quad Core 855

Customer:

Power supply is 650W PoWork Red_x

Customer:

Graphics card is XFX Radeon 7850 Black Edition DD 2gb DDR5 PCIe 3.0 with Ghost Thermal Technology Model FX785ACDB

Customer:

There are 2 6 pin power connector ports on the card, but the power supply only has one, and The support site says the second port is for running another Graphics card in series.

Customer:

Hope that helps. Is it possible the PCIe bus needs a driver update?

Customer:

If so I don't know where to get the driver.

david :

Hmm. did your card come with a 6-pin to double sata power adapter? If so, can you try using it to connect the second 6-pin connectino of your card to the power supply. Some cards require both connections to run in single mode as well.

david :

It's also possible that since the motherboard pcie slot is only 2.0 that your card is not receiving enough power from this connection as well. But most pcie 3.0 cards work fine in a 2.0 slot

david :

once you've made all of the power connections, can you let me know what you see in the display adapters sub-menu in device manager?

Customer:

I think I have a PCIe 1.0 slot

Customer:

Also I did not get the 6 pin to SATA adapter in the box I received.

Customer:

I will try to find the connector to add power from another vendor.

david :

Hmm, that's odd. I've always seen this adapter included with video cards for the past 3 years. You can purchase them online for a few dollars. Here is one on Amazon:

david :

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-6-Inch-Express-Adapter-LP4PCIEXADAP/dp/B0007RXDDM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383582412&sr=8-4&keywords=pcie+6-pin

david :

You may also want to try disabling the onboard video from your BIOS menu, in case that is causing power issues as well. When you boot up your machine look for a message that says 'press *** key to enter setup / BIOS'

david :

the key is usually F2, DEL, or F10

david :

just keep hitting that key until the BIOS menu comes up

david :

then navigate to a features or video menu and look for an option to disable the on-board video

david :

it should be in the same menu that let you choose which video adapter to use

Customer:

I will try that, but the board recognizes the aftermarket Radeon 5750 i'm trying to upgrade right away.

Customer:

The integrated video card is Radeon HD 4200

david :

The problem is that the 5750 is a much lower power demanding card that runs on pcie 2.0 and has no external power requirements. So the fact that it works fine, is a strong indication that the 7850 is not receiving enough power. You would have to try all of my previous suggestions to verify whether or not this is the case.

Customer:

i get it done. Trying the card on a friends computer tonight as well.

Customer:

Good morning David, the link for the connector wasn't exactly what I needed, but after asking some more questions on the forums we figured out (hypothetically @ least) that we needed a 6 pin PCIe splitter to run power to both of the 6 pin connectors on the graphics card.

Customer:

Ordering the part today, and will see how it goes. If not I may need your help again, but for now you have been a great help.

Customer:

Will leave you some good feedback. Best regards.

david, Hardware Guru
Experience: 6+ years of hardware expertise