Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience installing networks for small and large companies. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
23372949

I have a Windows7 computer and a Windows XP computer in my

I have a Windows7 computer and a Windows XP computer in my office sitting on the same network. An HP 1200 printer is connected to the XP machine and for good reasons, I don't want to move it to the W7 machine. I want to install the printer on my W7 machine. I know it can be done because the guy in the next office has it that way. But it gives me trouble. The other guy doesn't remember exactly what he did but that it was easy. He followed the printer wizard, found the printer in the list and let W7 install it.

When I do that, I find the printer and W7 tries to download the printer driver from the Web, can't find it and terminates with the instruction to do it manually. When I go to HP's driver site, it won't download it, saying the driver is already part of W7. HP also says to find the IP address for the printer, but I cannot see where it is, because it's connected to another computer not to the network.

So, what's the workaround to brute force this printer into my W7 computer.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Robert M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

Go to network neighborhood.

you should be able to browse to the xp computer that it is installed on

double click that and you should see the printer hanging off of it

double click on the printer and it will tell you that it needs to be installed to work and it should guide you right through installing it

If that does not work please just let me know at exactly what point you had a problem and what the exact problem was and I will walk you through it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I had to leave for Halloween. Will do this first thing tomorrow.

That's fine. post in if you have issues. I will be online by noon central time to respond.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Your suggestion didn't work and I see I had already tried it from a different location.

When I connect to the printer, Windows initially tries to check windows update, I assume to obtain a new driver. After a few minutes, it reports: "No Driver Found. Windows can't find a driver for the HP .... To locate one manually, click okay..."

When I do that, it sends me out to the HP driver site which reports that my driver is already included in Windows 7 and directs me back. When I go back, I'm taken to a lookup for a .INF file which I cannot find anywhere!!!

There is no windows 7 driver specifically for that printer.

Go to this page http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?cc=us&cc=us&lang=en&lang=en&sp4ts.oid=29794&ac.admitted=1383327716722.876444892.199480143

select 32 or 64 bit win 7 whichever you have and then scroll down past the windows update instructions and take the Universal pcl6 or pcl5 driver. They should work fine as far as basic printing goes.

If you have a hard time or it still doesn't work let me no and I will give you more help or I might be able to remote into your system to set it up for you while you watch if necessary.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No luck. I downloaded and installed the drivers. I then tried to install the printer. It still went out to the internet to seek a driver and told me it found one. Then it said it couldn't fine one and invited me to do it manually. When I did, I found two drivers: hpzipr23 and hpzipus23. Then, it reported that Windows could not connect to the printer and error message 0x00000214.

did you run the install file for the pcl driver ?

when you run that you should be able to select the printer and browse the network for it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I did and didn't see that feature. The package consisted of 80-plus files and no clear indication of what to do with them. I'll try again.

My office manager has an HP package - hpjsi.exe on her computer for her connection to the HP 1200. how do I get that?

I have to leave soon so if I don't reply, I'll do so tomorrow.

there should be an inf file among them and if you put them all in one folder you can do a manual add a printer and select "have disk" when it asks what kind of printer and browse to that folder and it will find the inf file

You can also just select a standard laser jet from the list of printers. when you do the manual add printer. laserjet p or laserjet 4 or laserjet 1000 usually work for almost any black and white laser

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience installing networks for small and large companies. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

This is not working out. You seem to keep sending me in circles. I ran the install program and the exact thing keeps happening no matter what you tell me to do.

Attached is the sequence of screens I get NO MATTER WHAT I DO. They're numbered 1 through 5.

If you're struggling with this can you find someone to work on it?

I am not struggling with it. You seem to be though.

When it says install manually say YES

then browse to where you put the install files that you downloaded.

There will be an inf file there that it will use

Or there would have been a setup file that would put the driver in windows so it would have found it rather than looking on windows update.

If you would like I can remote into your computer and do it for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Let's remote now. Call XXX-XXX-XXXX

I cant see that but if you download from www.teamviewer.com and install it than it will give you an id number and a password XXXXX if you put it in here I can see it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

463 314 737

u32i2n

got it thank you :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

did you open a new session or are we still in this?

I think we are all done on both :)
I was just following up on our work. Thank you very much for the rating. If you have further issues with this same problem you can post in the original problem and i will give you more help for free. If you would like to go to this page and add it to your favorates you can then use it to send me a question directly

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-robmark/