Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience installing networks for small and large companies. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
23372949

My number is XXXXX My name isXXXXX

My number is XXXXX My name isXXXXX I have noticed that my phone does not ring sending the caller to my message box. I have checked my phone ringer setting and it works ok. I am wondering if the problem comes from magic jack
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Hello Jocelyne, im sorry to hear about the issues your having with Magicjack.

So I can help you resolve these issues, I need to ask you a few questions. Your magicjack, does it plug directly into your computer?

Or, do you have the new magicjack, that plugs into your router or modem?

Also, was your magicjack working fine previously, or has it had this issue ever since you set it up?

Thank you ahead of time for your reply, and I look forward to resolving this issue with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is pluged in my router. It worked fine until a few days ago. It's not a new magicjack plus

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
If its plugged into yoru router.. then it must be the new magicjack plus device.

As the old devices cannot plug directly into a router and work.

I dont completely expect this step to fix the issue Joecelyne, but its where we should start.

I would like you to unplug the Magicjack from power.. Then, unplug your router and modem from power.

Wait one minute, then plug the router . modem back into power

Wait one minute, now plug the magicjack plus back into power.

Wait one minute.

Now, attempt to call your own magicjack number, will it ring now?

( if you run into any issues, or if this doesnt work, please send a reply so I can continue to assist you.)

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now that 's even worst. I have unplunged the router, the modem and majic jack plus. waited more than a mi. the lights on my magicjack does not come on at all.

I have tried calling my number with my cell and my voice mail goes on without ringing

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
If the modem and router are back on.

lets only unplug the magicjack from power.

Then, unplug it from the router.

Then plug it back into the router, and then turn the magicjack on.

Now, wait one minute, and watch the lights.. What are we seeing now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done exactly as above and still no lights on the magicjack

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.

Then we may need to update the magicjack.

For now, lets disconnect it from the router.. And then, lets plug it into your computer.

When we do that, if we launch the magicjack dialer.. Does it have a dial tone?

And can we make and receive calls again?? And whats the status of lights on the Magicjack when it is plugged into the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does not have a dial tone .
I called my cell and it does not work.

I have a message on my telephone to check tel line which I did and it is plug in my magicjack and my tel

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jocelyne..

Quick question, ( so that we can update yoru magicjack software )

Your computer that the magicjack is now connected to. Is it a windows xp, vista, windows 7 windows 8, or a mac ( apple ) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's Windows 7
A question: do I have to connect the blue wire into the majicjack that is plugged into my computor.

I get confused with all of the wires. the blue wire is now into my modem to the router

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
What I would like to do.

Is the magicjack device itself, has a metal usb plugin that sticks directlty out of it.

I want to plug that USB metal rectangle, directly into a USB port on your computer.

( there shouldnt be any wires needed, just a straight connection into the computers usb port )

Once we have done that... I want to try and start the magicjack software, and try to update it.

But we need to get it conneted first... So lets focus on that.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it has a usb metal plug in . it was and it is plugged into my computor .

I have no other wires to it. . I have taken the telephone wire out of it so it's all alone in the usb.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

Now, on the computer. Lets try and download and install the update for the magicjack

go to this page

http://mjcheck.low.li/download/

Click to download the windows version.. Once downloaded..

Make sure that we run the file.. ( that way it installs the update )

once installed, lets plug a phone into the magicjack.. Does the light turn blue?

If so, lets try to make a call with the MJ phone then.. What happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it does not work. I tried twice and it tells me my internet has stopped working but all of my lights in the modem are on.

It's from bad to worst

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's from bad to worst.

it does not work . it tells me I do not have internet but my modem is ok

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
At what exact point, is it telling you that you dont have internet?

After you install the magicjack update, and it runs through and says that the install completed?

And then when you run the magicjack software?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right after I clicked dowload , it says that I do not have internet. so the install has not even started , I think.

would you take over my computor.? It's been done before and the problem got solved

As I do not think I can go on. it' worst and worst

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
you offered me to ask all other technicians
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

Are you getting any lights on the magic jack?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no lights . would you take over my computer? It's been done before as I am no wizz at this.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

No there is no sense in taking over the computer. It has nothing to do with the computer.

The magic jack device should get lights on it when it gets power. It gets power from the usb connection on the device. one port is for the phone. The other port is for the usb connection to a computer or the power cable. Either way it gets its power from the adapter cable that goes in the wall or the usb port on the computer. It was plugged into both of those things and did not get lights at all. As soon as it is plugged in it should get at least a power light whether it is set up or not, whether it is registered or not it should get power lights.

Since you are not getting any the device is defective. They don't cost that much they aren't really designed to last forever. You need a new magic jack device. Nothing else is going to make it work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you I think you are right.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. I am sorry that I could not give you better news and hope that you wont hold that against me in the ratings. But its like anything else if you plug your tv in and it wont turn on or get a power light no amount of switching channels or playing with the antenna is going to make it work.

You can get another unit from magic jack or even ebay and it should power right up and get you talking again.

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience installing networks for small and large companies. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.