sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting
15197395

CD AND DVD WILL NOT PLAY IN HP VISTA. I am getting this message

CD AND DVD WILL NOT PLAY IN HP VISTA. I am getting this message on the screen.
CODE 19, Configuration information in registry is incomplete or damaged.
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name is XXXXX XXXXX today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Can you tell me, how did you uninstalled and reinstalled the drive ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Went to control panel. Search type in device manager.

highlighted cd/dvd then clicked uninstall, then clicked scan hardware to reinstall

Thanks Ron for the fast reply. This is a registry error, but before that can you tell me after checking the device manager, if the CD or DVD drive is listed as normal , with no special icons , Windows is detecting the drive but other software used to burn discs may not be detecting the drive.

Figure 3: Drives in Device Manager

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It looks like number 2 in figure 3

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to be a registry problem, please follow the steps below and let me know the result.

Clear the registry filters for Device Manager error codes 10 , 19 , 31 , 32 , 39 or 41 using the following steps:
  1. Click the following Microsoft Fix it Solution to clean the registry filters automatically: Fixit link
    If you cannot use the Microsoft Fix it Solution, continue using these steps to clear the upper and lower registry filters manually.
  2. Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras, and complete the following steps.
  3. Click Start , and type "regedit " into the Start Search field.The registry editor window appears.
  4. Select Computer in the main window.
  5. Click File , Export , type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save .A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
  6. Click the plus sign (+ ) next to the following items in the list:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    • SYSTEM
    • CurrentControlSet
    • Control
    • Class
  7. Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 . Make sure you have selected this exact key name.
  8. Select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .Figure 10: Registry Editor: LowerFilters key
  9. If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .
  10. Delete all other UpperFilter and LowerFilter values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if they exist.
  11. Close the registry editor and restart the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will print and try it.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX use the "Fix It" link and check the result. Remember to uninstall and reinstall the drive after following those steps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
5 stars
Happy with answer
Please remember to give rating here.