michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Science(Hons)
26798893

I am getting a blue screen of death when starting my old HDD

I am getting a blue screen of death when starting my old HDD on a new crosshair v formula-z and a new amd fx-8350. I get as far as the "Starting Windows" screen, it is clunky, then it crashes.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Customer:

Hello Michelle

Customer:

Are you there?

Michelle :

yes

Michelle :

try to load windows on safe mode it will come up with bsod if you are installing the old hdd to a new motherboard

Customer:

Yes, that is what is happening right now

Michelle :

it will allow you to start in safe mode windows once you are in there go into the device manage and remove all the hardware device drivers and then reboot the computer then it will ask you to reinstall new driver

Michelle :

install the drivers disk which came with the new motherboard then it will install

Customer:

No, it does not allow me to start in safe mode

Customer:

when trying to start in safe mode, it also gives me a bsod

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

that means the windows is not allowing the generic drivers for the new hardware

Michelle :

do you have data which you would need on the old hdd

Customer:

I do

Michelle :

you will have to backup the data first we cant risk it

Michelle :

the fact is

Michelle :

when you change the hardware configuration of the main motherboard windows xp and vista still can run and update itself but windows 7 and 8 will require a fresh os reinstallation as it dont allow the windows registry to modify.

Michelle :

this is the fact

Customer:

if I can put the HDD in another machine, would it be possible for me to install drivers in that way?

Michelle :

you mean remove the drivers on the other computer and then connect it to the new mobo

Customer:

yes, would that be possible?

Customer:

rather, I still have the old motherboard and CPU

Customer:

I could just put those back in the machine and go from there

Michelle :

connect the hdd to the old motherboard and copy all necessary data on a flashdrive or other media you prefer

Customer:

ok, and then what?

Michelle :

once you are sure you have the data backed up then put the hardrive to the new board

Michelle :

and do a clean os reinstall

Michelle :

i will give you all the steps

Michelle :

do you have the windows 7 disk along.

Customer:

I do not, but I do have a product key

Michelle :

well without a disk you will not be able to install it

Michelle :

ok tell me about your old computer

Michelle :

the make and model number and did windows 7 came preinstalled?

Customer:

the computer was built from www.cyberpowerpc.com

Customer:

windows 7 did come preinstalled

Customer:

I originally had an amd phenom II x4 955 cpu and the motherboard was an asustek M4A87TD EVO

Customer:

I have replaced the cpu with an AMD FX-8350 and the motherboard with an asus crosshair v formula-z

Michelle :

when you purchased the computer amd phenom II x4 955

Customer:

in december 2010

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

sir in this case you will have to buy windows 7 disk then we can proceed with clean installation. You may try connecting the old hdd to the old motherboard once it boots to windows desktop screen then you may try going into the device manage and remove all the drivers from the list once the box is empty turn off the computer remove the hdd and connect it back to the new motherboard and see if it allows windows to boot.

Michelle :

chances are less but you may try or else you will have to buy a windows 7 disk

Customer:

ok, how do I get back in contact with you when I do that?

Michelle :

all you have to do is open your justanswer email there will be a green button view my answer as you click on it this chat box will open and you can post me a message i will be informed however if i am not online please do give me some time to get back and reply to you as we are in two different time zones

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

should i give the steps to follow.

Customer:

yes please

Michelle :

step1. connect the old hdd to the old computer and turn it on and go to windows

Michelle :

step2. copy all the data to a flash drive or any external driver you want to save and verify the data after copying.

Michelle :

steps3. click on start >> search and type in devmgmt.msc in the run box and hit enter

Michelle :

it will open a device manger box remove all the drivers one by one and do not restart the computer till you have removed all the drivers from the list

Michelle :

step4. turn off the computer unplug the hdd and attach it to the new computer

Michelle :

turn on and let me know if windows load.

Customer:

I just finished putting the other motherboard back into the case, I am starting up windows now

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

did windows load without a problem

Customer:

yes, on the original motherboard windows loaded just fine

Michelle :

now back up all your data you want ion an external drive

Customer:

ok, this may take a while as I have 200+ gbs of files to transfer

Customer:

I have a question

Customer:

if I were to boot my system up in safe mode on this motherboard

Customer:

and then I uninstalled the old mobo and cpu drivers and installed the new ones

Customer:

would I then be able to put the hdd in with the new hardware and have it function?

Michelle :

as i said earlier that windows 7 will not function on a new motherboard as installed on an old motherboard we are try taking a chance if it works we dont need the windows 7 disk to purchase or else you have to buy one.

Customer:

ok, so even installing the drivers for the new hardware on the hdd wouldn't work

Michelle :

we are giving an option to the operating system windows to not recognize the old settings.

Michelle :

it it has the info in it registry then it will not allow windows to even load at the HMA (high memory area) of the ram

Michelle :

logically its not possible but we are trying to bypass and install the new drivers

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

back up data then remove all the device drivers shut the windows down completely remove the hdd and try it on the new motherboard see if windows load

Customer:

michelle, I am getting one long and two short beeps when trying to start up the system now

Michelle :

check the memory module remove it and reinsert it back

Customer:

done, that fixed it

Michelle :

ok good

Customer:

Michelle, I obtained a copy of windows from a usb from a friend

Customer:

I am booting from the usb right now and it is preparing to reinstall windows

Customer:

is there a way for me to keep my previous data, or is it best to format it entirely and start fresh?

Michelle :

ok great

Michelle :

let me know if you get stuck in any screen

Customer:

when it prompts me with "Which type of installation do you want"

Customer:

should I select Upgrade or Custom?

Michelle :

custom

Michelle :

does the usb drive has the windows 7 full version

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

use custom and then tell me the screen or options you get

Customer:

it asks me for the partition

Customer:

I selected the only available option

Michelle :

what are the options

Customer:

I only had 2 partitions, one being the system partition and the other the regular one I

Customer:

always used

Customer:

it has now finished installing and is starting up windows

Michelle :

ok good

Michelle :

it must boot from the harddrive now

Michelle :

did you get a disk with the new motherboard

Customer:

Yes I did. It is actually still completing the installation, I misinterpreted what I saw on the screen

Customer:

but it is in the last step it seems

Michelle :

ok

Customer:

it's taking it's sweet time to finish with the installation

Michelle :

no problem

Customer:

I'm just getting sleepy now lol

Michelle :

i understand

Customer:

windows has finished installing

Customer:

I am now installing the software from the cd that came with my motherboard

Michelle :

ok good

Michelle :

its going to install the drivers and dont forget to install the chipset driver first

Michelle :

then the others like network, sound video etc

Customer:

I clicked on the option to "install all", is that ok?

Michelle :

yes that is ok

Customer:

alright michelle

Customer:

it seems to be working now

Customer:

all I have left to do is update all the drivers and reinstall old applications

Customer:

but the system is functional now

Michelle :

Thats great now all you have to do is transfer your data back from the external drive to this computer

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below to complete the rating. If you have any question or need more help please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer:

that is correct

Michelle :

good to go

Customer:

If I were to provide you with a rating right now and at a later date had a concern about the same problem I was having today

Customer:

would that be a separate charge or could I follow up with you?

Michelle :

no

Michelle :

you can open the justanswer email there you will see a green button says view my answer

Michelle :

click on the button it will open this old chat window and you can post me a message and i will be happy to assist you.

Customer:

awesome

Customer:

thank you so much for your assistance today

Michelle :

or you can directly post me a message as you click on this link which i will attach.

Michelle :

you are welcome

Experience: Computer Science(Hons)