Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Since the Tandy II Ive been utilizing and repairing hardware components. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I recently purchased a new computer running Windows 8 and I

I recently purchased a new computer running Windows 8 and I purchased Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 10. I find that I cannot increase the audio level sufficiently. It only registers up to -17 db and the resulting CDs are too faint. What should I do?
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

This could be several issues, it could be your audio driver, it could be windows 8 or even corruption in the sound forge program.

To start with though, i would like you to review the page below, and check your noise reduction settings..

https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107/~/how-do-i%3A-clean-up-audio-with-noise-reduction-in-sound-forge

Lets make sure that its not noise reduction, that is causing you to output low audio.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not used the noise reduction feature.

Did you check and see if it was turned on, or set to reduce noise ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have to wait until I get home to check that out. I'm thinking it may have to do with the audio driver. I can reduce the volume but I can't increase it enough. I had a previous version of the software on my old computer and I didn't have that problem.

The audio driver could very well be the issue too, its one of the possibles I mentioned in one of my first messages.

That being said, if you go to the manufacturers website for your computer, go to the support / drivers and download page and enter your full model number.

We should be able to install an updated version of your audio driver, or at least reinstall the audio driver.. That may help.. So when you get home, if you run into any issues locating the audio driver, let me know the full name brand and model of the computer.

Also, another thing that goes hand in hand with the audio driver, and any possible sound issues.

Is going to your sound, playback devices, and seeing what exactly you have set as the default playback device. Sometimes, newer computers have both a digital and an analog playback device.. It could be that the sony system is using the wrong one, or doesnt like the playback device its using.

I realize Tom, that until you have the computer in front of you, were pretty much in a "what if " game. So if you want to continue this when your home and have the computer nearby, please feel free to do so.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dustin-

I checked my Sound Forge software last evening and I don't seem to have the noise reduction plug-in you referred to. Also, it looks like that's something that applies when you already have a sound file to edit. My problem is evident when attempting to record an audio stream from a website. I will set up an account with my home e-mail later this week and re-submit the question from my home computer where I can try things more efficiently. In the meantime, thanks for your suggestions.

You can use this same account from your home computer Tom..

As long as you have set a login and password, then you can access JustAnswer from any computer, and even most smartphones.

That being said. Since its a high probability this is a sound card issue.. Were you able to find and update your sound card driver, and did you check the default playback device?

If not, if you send t he full name brand and model of your computer, I can assist with finding the driver and checking on the device.

D.S
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I set up a new account with my home e-mail because it's problematic accessing my work e-mail from home and vice versa. As it turned out, another expert was able to remote in to my home computer last night and download another audio driver, and the problem has been fixed. Thanks again for your help.

Your welcome Tom, and im not surprised to learn that it turned out to be a sound card ( driver ) issue after all.

For future reference, we also provide remote support here. There are no additional fees for that service.

If in the future you run into any issues and would like to request me personally, you can do so by using this link http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dustins/

Just start the question out with, For D.Sandlin only.