jcm
jcm, Network Engineer
Experience:  I am a four year experienced Cisco Network Engineer. I possess a CCNA.
72955532

I have just installed another hard drive and a fresh version

I have just installed another hard drive and a fresh version of Windows 7 Professional.

I now have two bootup systems on the same computer =

Old bootup system with some problems occurring

New bootup system which is working almost perfectly but without sound.

Please help me get sounds out of this computer with the new bootup system.

Thank you.

Paul.

Hello Paul! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the brand/model of your computer?

Can you click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Properties, then check if your System type: is 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please let me know. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Viet

64 bit operating system

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Viet

64 bit operating system

What's the brand/model of the computer (or the brand/model of the motherboard)? Is this a computer you bought or did you or someone build it?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Intel core tm I7 CPU 960 3.20 GHZ

24 GB ram

Computer store built computer

Can we do a screen sharing session, so I can check and fix this sound issue directly for you?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That would be excellent.

Thank you

Please click on the website below and allow the ScreenConnect sharing program to run:

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=422db36c-a89d-4857-87f5-03ab5b5ddefa

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you take over again please.

The sounds are working perfectly with the old boot up system.

It won't help connecting to the old system.

In the old system, can you please click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device Manager, then double-click on Sound, video, and game controllers, then tell me the items under it?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm128/Customer/SOUNDDEVICES.jpg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm really sorry, I cannot find the driver this sound card; let me open the issue to other Professionals. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I assume that the drivers exist somewhere on this computer.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is Josh and I would be glad to help you.

Is the old system that has sound working Windows 7 also? If so, is it 64 bit Windows 7 also?

If the answer to both of these is "yes" we can do a manual backup and restore.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is.

But I do not want to do any restores at all.

The new system is a brand new system with a new registered version of Windows 7 Professional.

No backups please.

The old system is a bit buggy.

This will be a manual driver move only. The only information that will be copied from old system to new is the driver information.

Your working sound system's drivers will be stored in C:\Windows\System32 folder in the sub-folders Drivers, DriverStore and if your installation has one, DRVSTORE. These folders contain all the hardware drivers for your operating system. In the folder location, C represents the drive on which you have Windows installed, this may be a different letter on your system.

You can simply copy these folders out to seperate storage (DO NOT MOVE THEM) such as an external USB drive or Pen Drive.

Once you have them on a portable drive, boot into the broken system and paste the folders into it's C:\Windows\System32. Overwrite if prompted to and then reboot. Once you reboot, the new drivers should be detected automatically and sound should work. If not, let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you JCM for response QUESTION This System32 stuff is being posted from my system that doesn't work well. Is is possible that the problems I have with my dud system are some of these files that I cam copying across? :( Would there be System32 stuff that is specific to the Sound system that I can copy instead of copying all the stuff? I am quite concerned that I will copy problematical stuff over to the new system. Looking forward to getting your expert response. Thank you. Paul.

Ps. I see that you mention the sound drivers being her in this folder. I just want to make sure that I am not moving across problematic files that might mess up the new installation.

The only folders we should be moving are the Drivers, DriverStore and if your installation has one, DRVSTORE. These folders contain driver information only. Unless there is an issue on the old system with a driver, you should be fine. If you want to be extra careful, you can keep the Drivers, DriverStore and if your installation has one, DRVSTORE files on the portable drive and just point the hardware wizard to those folders manually in hopes it will find the proper driver. This is a bit more complex but it may work as well. Your choice. I personally would just copy the whole folder for simplicity.
jcm, Network Engineer
Experience: I am a four year experienced Cisco Network Engineer. I possess a CCNA.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi jcm.

I have now copied the folders DriverStore and DRVSTORE from the faulty boot up (which has the working sound drivers)

I am being very careful, so do have one more question please.

Can I paste these files from either bootup

1. Dud bootup (wrong sound files) running. Paste files while this system is running.

2. Faulty bootup (correct sound files) running. Paste files while system is running.

I hope I have made myself cleare. Being very careful as you can tell :)

Thank you

Paul.

On faulty boot up you copy files while system is running to external flash drive (no impact).
On New bootup you paste the files (and overwrite) while system is running from external flash drive to system32 folder (no impact).

Then you reboot. I'ts never a bad idea to be super careful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

URGENT

Hello. I hope you are there.

I am now ready to paste the files.

My DVRVSTORE folder from the old computer with the correct music drivers has the following items

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Are these the correct files for me to copy to the new boot up.

I hope you can help immediately because we have just had a grandchild a few hours ago and I need the new bootup to work with sound so that I can edit the videos we have just taken.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Paul.

Yes just copy and replace the whole DRVSTORE folder.