p0llinate
p0llinate, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate IT/networking company.

How does i disable the FN hotkey on a packard Bell easynote

How does i disable the FN hotkey on a packard Bell easynote TE?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  p0llinate replied 9 months ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the laptop,

p0llinate :

are you wanting to disable the "Fn" key at the lower left corner of the keyboard? Or one of the specific Fn combo keys at the top row?

Customer:

lower left corner, i play games and i use the hotkeys but when i need to use F1 i has to press FN+F1 and thats really annoying, when i dont press FN, is it popping up a new window and indendity card, and User`s guide

p0llinate :

Ok, so what you want is to lock the FN key to stay on then,

p0llinate :

sort of like having caps lock stay on, instead of having to press shift

p0llinate :

is that correct?

Customer:

Yes

p0llinate :

Ok, well you may have a few options here. There are some keyboard mapping programs that let you reprogram the keystrokes

Customer:

i wanna use the easiest way..

p0llinate :

or you can set up a macro so that pressing a key like F1 will really result in the computer believing you pressed FN+F1

p0llinate :

there is no hardware option that I can see here,

p0llinate :

some keyboards have a FN Lock key button, but I don't see one of those on yours,

Customer:

how does i setup a macro?

Customer:

i wanna do it on allt the keys

p0llinate :

Lets try one other thing first though,

p0llinate :

because the macros and reprogramming get complicated

p0llinate :

and are difficult to turn off

p0llinate :

please try pressing the Fn, Shift, and Num Lock keys all together at the same time,

p0llinate :

and see if that will lock the fn key mode, then you can try something like F1 again and see if that works as a function key

Customer:

its still coming the popup window

p0llinate :

Ok, next step will be to check if there is an option for this in the bios

p0llinate :

You'll need to reboot your computer, and enter the BIOS setup menu,

p0llinate :

this is done usually by pressing the F2 or F12 button when the computer is at the very first startup screen (usually blue or black, well before windows starts)

p0llinate :

you'll then look through the bios menu, under a keyboard option if you see one, to see if an F Lock or Fn Invert option is present, and set it to the opposite of whatever it is now.

Customer:

okay i will

Customer:

ill come back later to you

p0llinate :

Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know how it works

Customer:

i got it to work!

Customer:

if i press FN+F1 now, it comes up popup window

Customer:

no is it the opposit :D

Customer:

and works

p0llinate :

Great!

Customer:

thanks

p0llinate :

I'm glad you were able to find it in the bios

p0llinate :

Hope you have many happy games now.

p0llinate :

You're welcome

p0llinate :

I see you've rated me with "poor service"

p0llinate :

I would greatly appreciate a rating of at least "ok" or better, as that is the only way I get credit for my time spent working with you today.

p0llinate :

A negative "poor" rating will harm my reputation here.

p0llinate :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise please remember to rate me using the “excellent service” smiley face below to close out our chat. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi Ted, just checking in to make sure that your keyboard is still working properly for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive rating, in recognition of my time and efforts in working with you and providing the solution that you indicated earlier had worked for you.

Best regards,
p0llinate, Systems Manager
Experience: Own/operate IT/networking company.