Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

Hi,I plugged my IOGEAR CAC reader in, attempted to sign a

Customer Question

I plugged my IOGEAR CAC reader in, attempted to sign a document but couldn't sign. I got the NO Signature box....Ok was good but the sign box was greyed out. What should I do next?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

What is the source of the card? Are you certain that it contains a signature?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Do you have access to AKO?

Customer:

HI Michael,

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is this a military CAC?

Customer:

I purchased the reader today at the post exchange. It is Model GSR202. I have an Army CAC card. When I attempt to sign my document the box for NO Signature comes up but the actual sign box at the bottom is greyed out. I do have AKO access without my CAC.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK, good... what branch are you a member of?

Customer:

Active Army

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK. Thank you.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I won't be requiring any personal information.

Customer:

ok

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So, you have taken the first two steps... plugging in the reader, which installed the drivers... there are still a couple of things to do.

Customer:

ok....please talk me through it. :-)

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

First, if you don't have the DOD root security certificates, you will need those.

Customer:

I've been attempting to download them but my computer will not allow.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok... what is it saying? That it's a dangerous file?

Customer:

That's exactly what it is saying.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok. That's because they have you downloading the file as an .exe.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Let me see what I can do. One sec

Customer:

it specifically states .....InstallRoot_v3.15A-effective 16 Sep 2011.exe was reported as unsafe.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That's only because it ends in .exe

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It will report that for any file that ends in .exe.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Can you right click on it and select "save target as"?

Customer:

ok, do you have a fix?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you right click on it, you should have the option to "save target as" or "save file as"

Customer:

let me click over and see...please hold

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

ok

Customer:

Ok, I right clicked, saved as target....clicked save and the "InstallRoot_v3.15A - Effective 16 Sep 2011.exe was reported as unsafe" re-appeared.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK. We can do this a different way.

Customer:

ok

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Please go to this page:

Customer:

ok, do I want to run or save?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

From that page, download and save each of the three files.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

save.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Then you can go to each of the files, right click, and select "install certificate"

Customer:

Sorry, it won't do it. It's still reporting as unsafe!!!

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok... I will do something different.

Customer:

alright...I'm standing by.

Customer:
XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I am going to give each of these to you... it will appear to be a PDF. When you download it, just rename it to .p7b

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Root1

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Make sure you can download that one and I will give you the other two.

Customer:

ok, let me give it a shot.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

ok

Customer:

Michael,

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

yes

Customer:

Ok...it was successful. I saved as target on desktop under .P7b.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok... so now the file ends in .p7b?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

just right click on that and select install certificate.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Then you will change the option to allow you to browse to a certificate store.

Customer:

ok

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And browse to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Click on that and then OK... then you will have to click OK through like a hundred warnings.

Customer:

Will you stand by through this?

Customer:
XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Of course

Customer:

ok, it says that the import was successful

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok... did it go through each certificate with a warning?

Customer:

yes

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK, good.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I will give you the other two files... there are not as many certs in these. Just do the same thing with them.

Customer:

ok...lets do it

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Root2

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Root3

Customer:

Michael,

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes

Customer:

I saved as target the root 2 as .p8b (looks like a PDF file) but when I right click it doesn't give me the option to install certificate

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

use .p7b for all

Customer:

ohhhh

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

p8b doesn't exist yet

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

;-)

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And if it's some secret project you're working on, I don't want to know anything about it, lest I end up put away somewhere in a military prison. I couldn't handle it.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I watch "Locked up Abroad"

Customer:

ok....mission complete

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK.. that was step 3.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

lol

Customer:

ok, can I now attempt to sign doc.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This CAC solution has "military" written all over it.... 100 possible steps, with forks everywhere, etc. I would go nuts in the military. All the more reason I have respect for those of you that are soldiers.

Customer:

It does have military written all over it....there are a lot of things that need to be protected, even when it comes to signing documents.

Customer:
XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That I can understand... and there's certainly no shortage of people wanting the information.

Customer:

you got it....so will this work now?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

What are you signing with?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Are you using ApprovIt?

Customer:

Yes....I'm using my CAC card to provide signature.

Customer:

I'm sorry....I'm using lotus. :-)

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK. One more thing - I suggest the latest driver for the GSR202

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This should work.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

But we'll only know once you test it.

Customer:

Ok...please stand by.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

As you know, there are many uses for the card, so it's possible to have issues with particular uses.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

For signing, I think you should be Ok now.

Customer:

Michael,

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes

Customer:

Unfortunately, it's still not working. I wonder if I need to restart my computer in order for the changes to take effect?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Oh, yes. That is likely.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is it doing the same thing exactly?

Customer:

Yes....the signature box is still greyed out.

Customer:
XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes, I would recommend restarting.

Customer:

Should I restart and give it a shot?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You can add this page to your favorites to come back to it.

Customer:

Michael,

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes

Customer:

You are closer. I can now log into my AKO account using the CAC reader BUT I still can't sign the form for some reason.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I see.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

There are several additional steps you can take that are specific to the ApproveIt application.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

What version of ApproveIt do you have?

Customer:

ok....I'm ready to venture out.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok... before you go, let me give you the page with the troubleshooting steps for the signing.

Customer:

I'm using IBM Lotus Forms Viewer APO PE v1.01ES

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

What about the ApproveIt Software?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Here is the main page for that information I gave you.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Please remember to rate my service. And if you have additional questions, please let me know.

Customer:

Michael,

Customer:

I really appreciate your help. The problem isn't solved but you have gotten me one step closer. I will continue to see if I can get this to work. I have manually downloaded /ran approveIT and Lotus 3.5.1 but still can't sign documents. However, I can access my AKO using the CAC. I will rate you and allow you to get some sleep. But as all good Soldier....I will work on this a little while longer to see if I can get a fix. Again, thanks for your time and this was money well spent.

Customer:
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael,

Just wanted to let you know that I can now sign documents. Your expert advise really did the trick. I downloaded "approveIT" this morning and now it's working. Thanks for your time and patience. Take care!

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much... very kind words, indeed.

If you get stuck, let me know, I'll still help you through it.

I would definitely take a look at this page if you haven't already (something tells me you've already been there dozens of times, but just in case).

http://brainchamber.com/yourls/CSB0HG

Bobby,

I just wanted to follow up on the question you had regarding your situation with the CAC, and signing documents to see how that's going. I'm here if you still need help. I don't want you to think that I'm done with you because you rated my answer already!

If you still have questions, or if there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.