Molinari
Molinari, Hardware Specialist
Experience:  Certified IT Guru
16561526

How do I get my Canon printer to print only in black and white

How do I get my Canon printer to print only in black and white instead of color? Actually , how do I switch from color to black and white and vice versa? I have a Canon printer MG6100.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

What OS are you using, mac or windows?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Try this:

By following this procedure you may print using only the pigment black ink tank.

Note: Some color ink will still be used for print head maintenance.

Note: Image quality may be sacrificed when printing photographs.

1. Open the Properties / Preferences window for the printer.

For Windows 7

• Click 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, and 'Devices and Printers .'
    • Click your right mouse button on the listing for your printer, and then select 'Printing Preferences...' from the menu that appears.

For Windows Vista
    • Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, 'Control Panel', 'Hardware and Sound', and then click on 'Printers'. Note: If you are in 'Classic' view, Click 'Printers' directly from the 'Control Panel'.

For Windows XP Home Edition

• Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, 'Control Panel,' 'Printers and Other Hardware,' and 'Printers and Faxes.'

For Windows XP Professional Edition

• Click 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, and 'Printers and Faxes.'

For Windows 2000/ Me/98 (if applicable)

• Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, and 'Settings,' then 'Printers.'
    • Click your right mouse button on the listing for your printer, and then select 'Properties' from the menu that appears.

2. Click on the Main tab.

3. Select 'Plain Paper' as the Media Type. If any other paper type is selected, color ink will be used to create black.

Note: The pigment black ink will only be used when printing on plain paper.

4. Select the box for 'Grayscale Printing'.

Note: If either 'Borderless Printing' or 'Duplex Printing' are enabled from the Page Setup tab, grayscale will be created using a combination of the color (dye) inks to prevent smearing.

5. Click 'OK' to save the changes.

The printer will now only use the pigment black ink tank.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your great answer. Under Printing Preferences, I do not have an indicator for gray scale. Otherwise, everything is fine.
Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
It's printing in black and white though?