AAATom
AAATom, Computer Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, designing and troubleshooting microcomputers for 25+ years.
66411959

2. Describe in your own words and by means of a block diagram

2. Describe in your own words and by means of a block diagram how multiple matched words can be read out from an associative memory.
If you could tell me the resources you use, I'd appreciate it.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  AAATom replied 5 years ago.

AAATom :

Hello!

To answer this one I need to jog my memory a bit so I will leave it for the end and answer questions 3 and 4 first.

AAATom :

Can you, please, tell me is the sentence "If you could tell me the resources you use, I'd appreciate it." part of the original question or is it you asking me that? :)

AAATom :

When do you need answer on this one?
This is a bit more demanding question and it is 2:35 AM here - I can provide you an answer in 12 hours or so. Is that OK?

Customer:

Sorry, I didn't get your reply until this morning. No worries. Talk to you soon.

AAATom :

Well, this is one of those strange types of questions when you understand the issue but still do not know what to answer.

A multiple match in an associative memory is a situation when more than one word satisfies the given match condition. The multiple match resolution resolves this situation by means of a priority circuit or other schemes and outputs all matched words one at a time (i.e. ordered retrieval).

Basically, the logic for this would be very simple: keep reading all matched words until you have read all of them.
A block diagram for that is very simple too.

There are many algorithms for multiple match resolving (a lot of them even patented) - the right answer (as one of many possible correct ones) for this question can be determined only by looking into your textbook or lecture notes.
If you have that textbook in an electronic form you can send it to me so I can have a look. There should be at least a hint on what algorithm the question author actually meant.

As for resources I use, it is mainly my knowledge and experience and, of course, the internet. I find Wikipedia a very good starting point and often the main point of a research. And, yes, Google is my friend too, although weeding out the unuseful, misleading and often simply terribly wrong stuff can be a tedious job (and there comes in my knowledge and experience again).

So, although I post this as an answer for which I spent considerable amount of time, I will not push you to accept it because I do not feel it is complete.
Of course, if you have it, you can send me some additional information (e.g. the textbook) or you can ask me to explain what I wrote above.

Expert:  AAATom replied 5 years ago.
I have switched this out of chat so I can get an email notification that you posted a reply.

Please read my answer above and let me know if you need me.
Thank you!