Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

My monitor screen is too bright...how do I darken it

Customer Question

Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today.

What is the operating system of the computer where this monitor is connected?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe it is Windows 7

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

What is the make/brand and model of the computer? The monitor I believe is ACER. Is the computer entirely an ACER computer? What specific model? (Like Acer Aspire A750)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My tech person put this computer together for me...does not identify a brand
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thank you for that information. If you have already pressed the brightness key in the small panel in the monitor to decrease the brightness of the monitor, and yet the display is still too bright for you, please try the following to adjust the brightness on the software side:

1. Right click on any vacant area of the desktop screen
  2. Then click on "Personalize"
  3. Here is the screen shot:

4. In the window that appears, in the bottom left sidebar, click on Display
  5. In the new screen that appears, click on "Adjust brightness"
  6. Here is the screen shot:

7. Then in the next screen, at the bottom part, drag the slider to the left to darken the screen
  8. Here is my screen shot:

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please ACCEPT and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

If the problem continues, please let me know by posting a reply so that I can help you further.

If the problem is NOT solved, please do not leave a negative feedback. Instead, post a REPLY so that we can continue further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not work
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back.

Were you able to see the slider for the brightness of the screen? When you slide the slider to the left to decrease brightness, what happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I right click, I do not get the option of Personalization. So, I went into Control Panel...clicked personalization...clicked display and my options under display are

adjust resolution

calibrate color

change display settings

adjust clear type text

set custom text size (DPI)

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Right click on any vacant area in your screen and at the bottom, there is "Personalize". Here is a screen shot:

Right click on a vacant space, not in any icon.

Alternately, go to Control Panel and open Power Options. There at the bottom is the brightness slider.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did go to desktop and right clicked and do have personalization...when I go to Display, I get the same 5 options as stated earlier. When I tried control panel...I do not have the option of screen brightness.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
No. It is Control Panel => Power Options.

If you still don't see brightness in Power Options, please check if your video card is installed properly. Here are the steps:

1. Click Start => right click Computer then click Properties
  2. In the window that opens click on Device Manager in the left sidebar
  3. In Device Manager window, click the > beside Display adapters to expand it
  4. What exactly is the name of the display adapter listed there?
  5. Here is my screen shot:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

6. Also, are there UNKNOWN devices in the list? What are the names of the devices with yellow question marks?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, but I cannot expand Display adapters

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
OK. It appears now that your display adapter drivers are not installed thus the system is using generic drivers.

Can you please tell me the name of your motherboard? Also, do you have an external video card attached to the computer?

Please locate for drivers CD that came with your computer and install them. They are required for the system to function fully specially the video drivers.

If you know the model of the motherboard (just take a peek of the motherboard inside the box and the model shall be printed in the body of the motherboard. When I get the model, I can give you a download link for the display drivers that your system needs. But if you still have the drivers CD, you can install it to make your display drivers work.

An example of a motherboard model is this image below. It is Asus P5KPL-AM/PS. What's yours?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trying, but this is getting too crazy for me. I will just have my tech support guy come out and make the necessary adjustment
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
You just need to install the drivers of the motherboard so that the display or video card will work. It appears that the drivers are not yet installed. The full functionality of your video system will only be available when the video card drivers are installed. Also, since this is a custom-built system, the drivers for the video card should be in the box of the motherboard. If you can find it, you can just load it and install all drivers.

Anyhow, thank you for using JustAnswer.com.

Best regards,
Jess