Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years repairing and installing computers. Comp TIA+ Certified
1567601

My HP DVD A DH16AAL SCSI CdRom Device will not run - has Code

My HP DVD A DH16AAL SCSI CdRom Device will not run - has Code 52 Error. I have uninstalled and it was recognized. Would not run - searched to update driver - saidit was current. Will not run.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Dan :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, I would be happy to help you today. What version of Windows are you using?

Dan :

Since I have not received a response from you I will need to move on to assist other customers. Please respond to me at your convenience and I will return to assist you as soon as possible.

Customer:

Windows 7

Customer:

Hi Dan

Customer:

Do I need to do something to chat with you?

Dan :

Hi back! Give me just a minute and I will be right with you.

Customer:

ok

Dan :

What I would like you to try is to uninstall the CD drive drivers. Then install CCleaner and run the registry scan and delete all of the problems it finds. After that, re-install the drivers and try again then let me know.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

still searching has not found any problems yet still running

Dan :

You did the registry scan, correct?

Customer:

Looks like it did the scan for temporary files etc.

Customer:

I did not see the option for registry scan? There is one for RegEdit - it said it ran

Customer:

Windows explorer recent doc, empty recycle bin... temp files.... these aren't the issue.

Customer:

I just found the registry ....scan. Sorry - running now

Dan :

Okay. Let me know.

Customer:

Dan - it found a large number of tiles... Many Microsoft.net files many dll files, only a couple HP files..

Customer:

Do you want me to "fix" these?

Dan :

Yes go ahead. When you do, it will ask you if you want to create a backup. Do that and save the file somewhere you can find it.

Customer:

or should I unselect some of these for obsolete files, unused file extentions etc?

Customer:

ok Save it anywhere on C?

Dan :

That would be fine.

Customer:

ok - all found issues are fixed

Customer:

Now reinstall the drivers?

Dan :

Now restart the computer then install the drivers for your CD and try again and see if you still have the problem.

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

When I come back to our chat

Customer:

Dan - it says that it is re-installed but it does not work. The computer is saying it has 2 disk drives but it only has one. WDC WD10EADS-65P6B0 SCSI Disk Device?

Customer:

In addition to the DH16AAL ScSI Cd Rom ... this is what doesn't work.

Customer:

It still says it has a code 52 error

Customer:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

Dan :

It is counting both your hard drive and CD ROM drive. On to plan B.

Dan :

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Hardware and Sound, click Configure a device.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.

Customer:

I had the option of choosing Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs... it did not find any problems?

Dan :

What type of computer do you have and how old?

Customer:

It is a HP Pavilion p6520y purchased 8/14/10

Dan :

When did the problem start?

Customer:

Just noticed it today - last time the CD Rom was used was 1 week ago

Customer:

about a week ago

Dan :

Can you think of anything you might have changed, like installing any new software or updates?

Customer:

Looks like they did a renewal on the web for Webroot and Norton within the past few weeks.

Dan :

Well about the only thing left is to have you go into the registry and check to see if we can remove the problem from there, but that can be risky if you remove the wrong thing?

Customer:

I don't feel all that comfortable removing from the registry directly really

Customer:

I guess we need to take it to someone?

Dan :

What I would try first is contacting HP if you haven't done that already?

Customer:

I went to the HP website and ran their driver manager - also tried the Mircrosoft drive download checkers... neither found a problem.

Customer:

?

Dan :

Is there any warranty left?

Customer:

I don't think so

Dan :

Contact HP Support, but what ever you do make sure pin them down on a price before you proceed.

Customer:

Looks like it was a set up- restore disks and security warenty plan. Purchased at Best Buy..

Customer:

Thank you that is good advice.

Customer:

I guess that is it for now.

Dan :

If that doesn't work then the backup plan would be back to Best Buy but they can be kinda spendy as well.

Customer:

Yes... it can.

Dan :

Good luck. I wish I could have helped you more.

Customer:

You were helpful... at least I feel like I did what I could. Thanks

Dan :

We gave it a good try anyway!

Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 25 Years repairing and installing computers. Comp TIA+ Certified