Tim W.
Tim W., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware and Software Specialist
35117564

My monitor wont come on right away, but does come on after

My monitor won't come on right away, but does come on after awhile. The blue (on light) flashes and I see a light fluctuation on the computer on light. Can you help me clear up this conflict?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Tim W. replied 2 years ago.

tbwhite2040 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you in finding an answer to your question.

tbwhite2040 :

Have you loaded the Windows 7 drivers for your video card and your monitor?

Customer:

I don't know, but when I troubleshoot the monitor it says it's working.

Customer:

How do I check that I have current Windows 7 drivers for my video card & monitor?

tbwhite2040 :

Click Start--------Right-click Computer--------click Properties----------Device Manager--------make sure there are no red or yellow marks in the device manager or no yellow question marks

Customer:

I don't see any red or yellow marks in the device manager or any yellow question marks.

tbwhite2040 :

OK then it is most likely the monitor that needs to be replaced

Customer:

Why does it work -- like now, it's working.

tbwhite2040 :

It is loading the generic drivers for Windows 7. It is taking along time for the power inverter to light the backlight in the monitor

Customer:

So you're saying that the monitor's power inverter isn't working properly.

Customer:

Is it a good idea to use a battery back up power supply?

tbwhite2040 :

No because the power inverter is inside the monitor and a backup power supply would not remedy the problem. What other problems are you having with Windows 7 besides the monitor?

Customer:

Well what I meant to say is -- would the backup power supply cause the monitor's power inverter to go bad. This monitor was purchased in April 2008; didn't expect it to go bad this soon.

Customer:

Do a lot of programs have conflicts with Windows 7? And it important to clear up those conflicts.

tbwhite2040 :

I wouldn't rule it out but I wouldn't think it would. The programs have to be compatible with Windows 7 because it will cause conflicts

Customer:

Can the program conflicts with Windows 7 cause problems with the monitor?

tbwhite2040 :

It depends if the programs are conflicting with the video driver, the screen resolution, or the display settings

tbwhite2040 :

Try removing all programs that are conflicting and see if the monitor problem fixes itself. If it does then you know the issue was a conflict. If you still have monitor issues. try updating the video driver for your video card. If this doesn't fix the issue, then the monitor is faulty and will need replacing

Customer:

How do I verify which programs are conflicting? And how do I find the update for the video driver?

tbwhite2040 :

Click Start-------All Programs---------Accessories-------System Tools-------System Information-------Click on the + sign beside the Hardware Resources------Conflicts and Sharing-----look for any conflicts. Also click on the + sign beside the Components--------click on problem devices. Look for any problem devices. To update the video driver go back to the device manager and click on the + sign beside the video adapter. Then right click on the video adapter and click update driver. The best thing is to run Windows Updates to see if any new drivers are found after you run a Custom instead of Express update. Then click Hardware and see if any drivers are listed for your computer

Customer:

Is there a way to get back to you if I run into more questions while trying to accomplish this?

tbwhite2040 :

Just save this chat to your favorites and click the Save and Exit button at the bottom of the chat window. Then when you get back online to chat, just post a response and I will get back to you

Customer:

Hi TB,

Customer:

Tried the windows 7 update (there was one optional update) after update I had to restart the computer which it did and the monitor came right up.

Customer:

Here's the info on conflicts

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

IRQ 23 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A34

IRQ 23 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A

IRQ 16 Intel(R) ICH10 Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 3A42

IRQ 16 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A37

IRQ 17 Intel(R) ICH10 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 3A40

IRQ 17 VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C

IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A36

IRQ 19 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A35

IRQ 19 Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller

IRQ 19 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A39

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset

Memory Address 0xFED90000-0xFFFFFFFF System board

Microsoft PS/2 Mouse ACPI\PNP0F03\4&242CC0DB&0 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. I have a HID-compliant mouse.

The best driver software is already installed for the display adaptor and the monitor.

Customer:

Hi, I tried restarting the computer again and again the monitor came right up, so I guess it was the optional Windows 7 update.

Customer:

Or is there something to the conflicts?

tbwhite2040 :

I do not think these conflicts matter because I have the same on my laptop. These just mean that some of the devices are sharing the same resources as others. Hopefully, your monitor will work correctly now. Have I answered your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Thanks TB, My monitor didn't come on at all today; I had to find another computer to reply to you. So you have answered my question, and it was satisfactory; although it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. I had to buy a new monitor.

Tim W., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware and Software Specialist