Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

The pendulum on my clock fell off. I replaced it but now it

Customer Question

The pendulum on my clock fell off. I replaced it but now it stops after about 5 minutes
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.
Customer: The clock is over 100 years old; I do not know how to ensure the pendulum keeps swinging
JA: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Clock Repair
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The clock is very old (Called "Sierra Clock")
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I also realized I did not sent my cell phone number which is *** *** **** if you text a response

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Pendulums are very sensitive and if bent slightly they will have to be looked at by a technician. Most times this happens because the clock is not "in beat". A clock is "in beat" when the time between each tick/tock cycle is evenly spaced. To determine if your clock is out of beat, start the pendulum swinging and carefully listen to the tick and tock. If it the time between each tick/tock is uneven your clock will not run correctly. If the time between the ticks and the tocks is even your clock is "in beat". If your clock is not "in beat", there are several things you can try to correct the beat. If your clock is mounted on a wall by a single point, move the bottom of the clock case left or right until the clock sounds "in beat". Professionals will set the case to be level on the wall and adjust the escapement until the clock is "in beat". The method used to adjust the escapement is different from clock to clock. Since we are experts in British grandfather clocks, the following pertains to that type of clock. Let the pendulum hang in its neutral position and place a piece of masking tape on the case just below the pendulum. Mark the neutral point on the masking tape. Move the pendulum to the left, marking the point where the clock ticks. Next, move the pendulum to the right, marking the point where the clock ticks. As a rough estimate the two outer makes should be evenly spaced from the center point. If they are not even, you will need to adjust the escapement until they are even. Instead, bend the pendulum crutch to achieve the same result. Try this option out and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I can locate a clock repair shop in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.