Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

Trying to get the pendulum to keep swinging. It was

Customer Question

Trying to get the pendulum to keep swinging. It was disconnected during shipment from Florida
JA: The Clock Technician will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.
Customer: Its a ***** ***** model # 612-430
JA: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The pendulum was disconnected upon shipping from Florida
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, ​My name is ***** ***** it's a pleasure to assist you. Yes on this model of Howard Miller mantle clock make sure you are level both ways front to back & side to side. Worst case is that the suspension spring is damaged. Most of the time when you start the pendulum and it stops after a few minutes the clock is out of beat. A clock running in beat goes :- tick - - - - tock - - - - tick - - - - tock, with the four hyphens representing an exactly equal amount of time. Out of beat, it goes: - tick - - tock - - - - - - - - tick - - tock - - - - - - - - tick - - tock This is easier to hear than describe, the two sounds come very close together, then a longer interval before two more very close together. The crutch is the wire part fixed to the clock at the back of the movement, usually bent at a right angle at the bottom, with a rectangular hole in it for the pendulum rod to slide through. If you touch it you will see it can move from side to side through an arc. Very often this wire is already bent slightly, (don’t worry about the shape of it, you can’t see it at the back of the movement) when the clock is running it is the crutch that swings the pendulum, by giving it a tiny impulse at each swing. Many people think the pendulum drives the clock; it is of course the other way round. The pendulum is there to “regulate” the clock and enable it to keep time, instead of running away at a fast speed till it runs down and stops. Looking from the front, with the pendulum hanging down stopped, move it to one side by hand, until you hear a tick. Then move it the other way until you hear a tock. If it has to be moved father to the right (from the center) than the left, the crutch must be bent to the left. - - - - - -Or the other way round, of course. Also, be careful with the crutch bending, If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself I can locate an authorized Howard Miller repair shops in your area just let me know your zip code location. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The pendulum is still stopping. I don't hear a tick or tock when I push the pendulum to the right or left.
If you could give me the location of a repair shop near zip code 11731 East Northport, NY. I will take it there. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why was my credit card just charged $35.. I only approved a $5 charge?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Here are the closest authorized Howard Miller repair shops that can help you with your clock. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

A. MARSHALL IRVING

Approximately 11.5 Miles from 11731*****br />SETAUKET, NY###-##-####br />Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

M & P CLOCK REPAIR

Approximately 11.9 Miles from 11731*****br />HICKSVILLE, NY 11801
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

GARY KUSHNICK

Approximately 15.9 Miles from 11731*****br />BELLMORE, NY 11710
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

MARK MC KEON

Approximately 16.4 Miles from 11731*****br />STAMFORD, CT 06902
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I do not have anything to do with the billing I'm at my clock repair shop you will have to contact customer service. Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

for helping you.