Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a grandfather clock I built from an Emporer Clock

Customer Question

I have a grandfather clock I built from an Emporer Clock company kit. The movement is 451-050H made by Hermle Black Forest. I oiled it and it runs but does not chime. The weights is heaviest on right when facing the clock. The right and center weights have moved downwards the past 15 hours but the left weight has not moved downward. Ideas? Don Marshall
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else important you think the clock technician should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 15 days ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll cover all options to try. The Right weight runs the chimes, the Center runs the pendulum, the Left runs the strike. First make sure the retard bar didn't slip down onto the hammers and make sure the hammers move freely up and down and are all at the same height at rest sometimes moving them up & down will release any that are stuck or sluggish. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it is on. Next make sure it isn't in the night time shut off mode if your clock has that option. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click at the 1/2 hour position like it wants to strike but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance the movement should be cleaned and re oiled every 3 to 5 years just adding oil on top of old oil doesn't do the trick. Try these options out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Mike:
Thank you.
First, I do not know what a retard bar is or if I have one.
Hammers seem free. I can push them left or right and they release to strike.
Unknown about chime selector.
Manually moved minute hand to 12. Their is an action sound but no chiming.
There are clock maintenace people near Donnelson, IA and Hannibal, MO. that I am familiar with.
Thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 15 days ago.

Hi, If the hammers move freely the retard bar is up and off the hammers. The chime selector is usually found on the dial face at the 3 position if your clock has that feature. I get this a lot in my shop and it turns out to be one of the options I mentioned above. Would you like for me to locate a repair shop for you?. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 14 days ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

for helping you.