Chris C
Chris C, Professional Clock Repairer (5yrs+)
Experience:  MBHI (Member of British Horological Institute), Masters in Physical Sciences (Cambridge University)
35181951

When the wgts. drop even with the pendulum ball the wgts.

Customer Question

When the wgts. drop even with the pendulum ball the wgts. are set in motion & it stops the clock every time. Runs well until wgts. get even with pendulum. HELP!
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the clock technician can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the clock technician should know?
Customer: The clock is a modern 3 wgt. triple chime floor clock. Stops every time the wgts. drop even with pendulum ball.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Is your clock new & how long has this problem been occurring? Next did you buy the clock from a store or private sale? What make & model clock do you have?. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Mike; Simple question! As I said in my second time around.This is a modern ( 10 0r so yrs.old.) Three wgt. triple chime floor clock. When wgts. get down in front of pendulum they start swinging with pendulum and the motion stops the clock. I think it is called a harmonick reaction. HOW DO I STOP IT? If you do not know just say so & I will move on. This is much more than I wanted from my computer!!! Thanks Fred
Expert:  Mike replied 30 days ago.

Hi, Fred, I'm not familiar with the harmonick reaction the only cause to make both the pendulum and weights to start moving at the same time when the weights get even with the BOB of the pendulum is either the clock is slightly off level or the clearance of the pendulum is off. I'll opt out and let another expert try to help you. Thanks Mike