Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a Japanese reproduction regulator type wall clock,

Customer Question

I have a Japanese reproduction regulator type wall clock, circa 1900 or so with hourly strike. It wound down last month while we were gone and when I re-wound it the strike train no longer operated, I was serviced within the last year.
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else important you think the clock technician should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. There are several options to try first you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click at the hour position like it wants to strike but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent, loose or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Yes a good cleaning and re oiling will do wonders for your clock. What happens from it not running and then being wound tight again is the old dirty gummy oil inside the mainsprings causes the mainspring coils to stick causing the spring not to be able to release the pressure to keep the clock chiming. If you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Try these options out then let me know what happens. Thanks Mike.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.