Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I need to rehang the chains on a Herschede three weight

Customer Question

I need to rehang the chains on a Herschede three weight clock
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the clock technician can help you best.
Customer: two of the three chains are off.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the clock technician should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First make sure your weights are in the proper order. If the weights are not marked the heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the chimes the next heaviest in the CENTER it runs the pendulum the last weight goes on the LEFT it runs the strike. To rethread the chains if you look up under the dial face you will see the sprocket the chain hangs from they will only turn freely one way so what you want to do is when you start to rehang the chain you would want to hang the end of the chain that holds the weight down the opposite way the sprocket turns so that when you hang the weight onto chain the weight will not crash to the bottom of the clock. Make sure that there are know kinks or twists in the chain you can take a piece of wire that I pictured below, feed the wire down the side the weight hangs from take the end of the chain the weight hangs on and pull the chain up & over the sprocket to feed about 8 to 12 inches down then hang the weight onto the chain then repeat the process again. Try this option out and let me know what happens and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I'll find a clock repair company for you. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.