Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

Left and right weights are not coming down and the clock is

Customer Question

Left and right weights are not coming down and the clock is not chiming. I tried moving the hands around for 12 hours but it still doesn't chime. That has usually fixed it in the past.
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.
Customer: I have to pull the weights up about once a week. The middle weight is working, coming down and clock ticking and keeping time. But the left and right weights are not coming down and the clock is not chiming.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll cover all options to try before calling in help. First make sure the retard bar didn't slip down onto the hammers and make sure the hammers move freely up and down. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it is on. Next make sure it isn't in the night time shut off mode. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click at the hour position like it wants to strike but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance the movement should be cleaned and re oiled every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.