Chris C
Chris C, Professional Clock Repairer (5yrs+)
Experience:  MBHI (Member of British Horological Institute), Masters in Physical Sciences (Cambridge University)
35181951

I have a grandmother clock from Emperor and the prndulum

Customer Question

I have a grandmother clock from Emperor and the prndulum swings very slow and has a short swing. I cannot swt it to keep time, the pendulum is adjusted about as high as it will go and it still loses time. The clock is about 30 tears old and it has a new spring on the pendulum. What can I do to adjust it to keep time? Do you have a repair manual?
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No. I don't think so. The pendulum does not swing as far side to side as it did when new.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I get this all the time at my clock repair shop, when was the last time you had the movement cleaned & re oiled? they should be cleaned & re oiled every 3 to 5 years. Also when you acquired a new suspension spring was it the correct spring? It might need a stronger spring. Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike