Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I wound my grandfather clock as usual but it won't keep

Customer Question

I wound my grandfather clock as usual but it won't keep going for more than a few minutes , something must have happened with winding it this time
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. How do you rewind your clock? Do you pull chains to lift the weights up or do you use a crank key to raise the weights? Does your clock have chains or cables? Thanks Mike ​

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wind my clock by raising the weights with chains , it is not a key wind
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a chain driven clock not cables
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Thanks for letting me know I'll cover all options for you to check. First make sure the hands are free from touching the other hands and second hand. Also make sure the hands are not touching the dial at any point. If the hands are touching, this will stop the clock. Next check the clock to see if it is level if the pendulum is touching the chime rods toward the back or touching the weights toward the front, the pendulum will stop. This indicates a problem in leveling from front to rear and side to side. Next listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. Equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum to make it swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop. If the beat is irregular like: tick---tock------tick-tock, an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right until you hear the most even tick-tock. If this fails, you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on it's own. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue. Last when was the last time your movement was cleaned & re oiled? the movement of the clock should be cleaned and re oiled every 3 to 5 years to keep it in top running condition. Try these options out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi there,
Your answer wasn't a help and I've got my clock going myself. It would be obvious that it was nothing to do with being level or the hands, as I mentioned it was since I wound it which would indicate it was something to do with the winding which it was, and was something to do with the middle chain not quite on its wheel as I lifted the weight as I pulled the chain when rewinding. I just slightly jiggled and pulled the weights up very slightly and gently and that's all it needed the chain repositioned itself and its been going ever since.Thank you for your reply but I'm not going to rate it as it was really relevant to my situation.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Your Welcome I'm glad your clock is running. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not going to rate your answer as it wasn't relevant to my comments about my clock not working as I have already said and
I have asked for a refund of fifty seven dollars but have had no answer from "Just Answer"
Regards,
Valerie
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi Valerie, I do not have anything to do with the billing. I'll try to contact customer service for you. Thanks Mike