Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

What do I need to do to my grandmother clock to prepare for

Customer Question

What do I need to do to my grandmother clock to prepare for transportation ?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'm a member of NAWCC The National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors. Follow these steps below and you should be alright. I hope this helps you. Thanks Mike Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

1. Open the side access window (if any) and move them to a safe place where you may not step on one and break it.

2. If the clock has cable holding the weights, insert 3 - 2" square Styrofoam blocks above each pulley between the cables. If you do not have a Styrofoam block, make a tight square of newspaper about 2" inches in diameter and hold the block or newspaper square above the pulley as you wind the weights one at a time until they stop with the paper or Styrofoam block jammed above the pulleys. This procedure prevents the cable from tangling when the weights are removed. You need to keep tension on the cables.

3. For clocks with chains, raise the weights so the clock is about half wound (middle of the clock). Use a piece of thin wire or twist ties to string the chains together just where the chains protrude below the movement and tie the wire together; this action will secure the chains so they do not come off their sprockets. These need to be tight or the chain will come off the sprocket.

4. Remove the weights while wearing gloves and look at the bottom to see if they are marked "Left - Center - Right" . If not, mark them so they can be replaced to the same position on the clock for installation later. For clocks with chains, secure the chains by bunching them from bottom to top and wrapping them in newspaper and place a rubber band around the package so that they do not move around and possibly damage the finish. Package up the weights carefully as not to dent the brass casings.

5. Remove the pendulum by holding it from the middle and slightly moving it up. It should un-hook from the pendulum leader easily. DO NOT FORCE IT. The pendulum guide needs to be so that it may not move around during moving and it should never be under a lot of tension in any direction. You may take one or two full width pages of newspaper and gather the loose paper around the pendulum guide. Use just enough so it remains loose, but unable to freely move around.

6. Reinstall the access panels and lock them in or tape them from the inside (glass to wood) so the windows will not come out and break during moving. Close and lock the door(s).

7) A queen size comforter should completely surround the clock. If not try any large blanket. Wrap the blanket around the clock and tape the blanket closed. Wrap the tape twice near the top of the clock all the way around, once near the middle and one near the base.

8. The clock can now be carefully moved to it's new location. If the clock is a newer clock, you may move it on it's back if you have followed the instructions above to the letter. Older clocks may need only to be moved in an upright position because of the weight of the movement and the way the movement may be fastened to the case.

Set up in the new location

1. Carefully unpack the clock reversing the instructions above:

2. LEVELING YOUR GRANDFATHER CLOCK
Position the Grandfather Clock into its final location. Once in place, your Grandfather Clock cabinet
must be leveled, as the Grandfather Clock may not operate if it is not level. There are four levelers under the cabinet on each corner that can be screwed in (up) or
out (down) to make adjustments. Place a level alongside the Grandfather Clock cabinet from front to back and side to side, adjusting the levelers until level. It may be necessary to periodically check your cabinet after initial set-up, (especially if the Grandfather Clock is on carpet), as it might settle after original leveling. Ensure Grandfather Clock is positioned square and firm on the floor so that it will not fall over.

3. HANGING THE PENDULUM

Some pendulums have a colored protective plastic film covering the pendulum disk. Carefully remove this film before hanging the pendulum. To hang the pendulum, locate the pendulum guide through the front door, or
any of the side or back access panel locations. While holding the pendulum guide with one hand, slip the pendulum in through the front door with your other hand. Place the pendulum hook over the pin or through the slot on the pendulum guide, and lower the pendulum until it is hanging securely on the pendulum guide.

4. HANGING WEIGHTS
DO NOT REMOVE THE STYROFOAM BLOCKS until after your Grandfather Clock has been operating for at least twenty-four (24) hours. Most Grandfather Clocks use three weights. The bottom of each weight is labeled Left, Center or Right facing the Grandfather Clock. The total weight of each weight is slightly different and each WEIGHT MUST BE INSTALLED IN ITS CORRECT LOCATION FOR THE Grandfather Clock TO OPERATE PROPERLY. Check the weights to ensure that they are tightly assembled. Check to make sure that the cable is in the cable pulley. Hang the weights on the pulleys.

6. SETTING TIME (moving the hands) To set the time, move ONLY THE MINUTE HAND counter Clockwise (backwards) until hour and minute hand are at the correct time. DO NOT MOVE THE HOUR HAND WHEN SETTING THE TIME. The hour hand will move automatically when the minute hand is moved. By moving the minute hand counter Clockwise it is not necessary to wait for the Grandfather Clock to chime as the minute hand passes each quarter hour. The movement has a self correcting feature which synchronizes the chimes with the time. If after setting the Grandfather Clock on time, it does not chime properly, permit it to operate 2 hours to correct itself.
CAUTION ON MOVEMENTS WITH AUTOMATIC CHIME SEQUENCING: The chime selection lever should not be in the ?Auto? position when moving the hands. Moving the hands in either the Clockwise or counter Clockwise direction while the automatic chime sequencing is in operation could damage the chime mechanism.

Reach through the front door of the Grandfather Clock and place your hand on the side of the pendulum disk. Move the pendulum to the far left of center and release. Let the Grandfather Clock operate a few minutes until the pendulum settles into an even swinging motion. If your Grandfather Clock gains or looses time after twenty-four (24) hours, see General Information Section to regulate the timekeeping of your Grandfather Clock. After the Grandfather Clock has run for at least twenty-four (24) hours, remove the Styrofoam blocks by lifting the blocks straight up until they clear the cable pulley. Then gently push them back, through the cables.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.