Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a grandfather clock that keeps stopping just before

Customer Question

Hi I have a grandfather clock that keeps stopping just before the 45minute chime. Is there an adjustment to get it to keep running through the quarter to the hour chime?
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.
Customer: Interesting response. Should dI try back during regular business hours?
JA: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The clock is in good condition and only stops in that one position at 44 minutes past the hour. Hoping it is an easy adjustment.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll coverall options for you to try. The Right is for the chimes the Left is for the strike There are several things to check. First make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed at that one position at 44 before the hour. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click at that one position at 44 before the hour like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position or there might be a worn or damaged tooth on that sprocket that when it gets to that spot it causes it not to chime and is being skipped. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance that there might be a piece of foreign debris that is causing the chime/strike train to jam or skip the 3/4 chime so the movement might need a cleaning and re oiling like they should every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.