Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

My parents have both died and I inherited their grandfather

Customer Question

My parents have both died and I inherited their grandfather clock. It is a Seth Thomas bought in the mid to late 80s. My father was an AWI watch and clock repairman for 50 years so he kept it running nicely. When we moved it to our home (8 miles) the mover put it on its back. (pendulum and weights were off). We brought it in and set it up. It is level both front to back and side to side. It will not tick and it will not strike. Where do I go from here? My resident expert is now in heaven!
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First make sure the clock is level both ways, next make sure the weights are in there proper order if they are not marked on the bottom the heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the chimes, the next heaviest in the CENTER it runs the pendulum, the lightest on the LEFT it runs the strike. You can manually run the clock by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime this will tell you if the retard bar is down over the hammers. Next make sure that all the hammers are at the same height if not try lifting them and release they all should be around an 1/8" above the rods. When you start the pendulum does it stop after a few minutes? Most times this happens because the clock is not "in beat". A clock is "in beat" when the time between each tick/tock cycle is evenly spaced. To determine if your clock is out of beat, start the pendulum swinging and carefully listen to the tick and tock. If it the time between each tick/tock is uneven your clock will not run correctly. If the time between the ticks and the tocks is even your clock is "in beat". If your clock is not "in beat", there are several things you can try to correct the beat. If your clock is mounted on a wall by a single point, move the bottom of the clock case left or right until the clock sounds "in beat". Professionals will set the case to be level on the wall and adjust the escapement until the clock is "in beat". The method used to adjust the escapement is different from clock to clock. Let the pendulum hang in its neutral position and place a piece of masking tape on the case just below the pendulum. Mark the neutral point on the masking tape. Move the pendulum to the left, marking the point where the clock ticks. Next, move the pendulum to the right, marking the point where the clock ticks. As a rough estimate the two outer makes should be evenly spaced from the center point. If they are not even, you will need to adjust the escapement until they are even. The best way to do this is to twist the "anchor pallet" on its arbor. However, in most case, it will be difficult to do that because the anchor is often to tight. Instead, bend the pendulum crutch to achieve the same result. Try this option out and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I can locate a clock repair shop in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.