Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I hate to say that I dropped my grandfather clock while

Customer Question

I hate to say that I dropped my grandfather clock while moving. I finally figured out how to put the pendelem on so that it once again keeps perfect time. I chimes on the hour, but it no longer chimes on the quarter hour. Any suggestions??
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Clock Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll coverall options for you to try. First make sure the weights are in there proper order. If the weights are not marked on the bottom R C L The right weight is the heaviest it runs the chimes, the center is the next heaviest it runs the pendulum, the left is the lightest it runs the strike. There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Make sure all the hammers are at least 1/8" above the chime rods at rest. Next look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

.