Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

Grandfather clock. Quarter Hour chimes correctly. Top of the

Customer Question

Grandfather clock. Quarter Hour chimes correctly. Top of the hour chimes correctly EXCEPT 12 o'clock. At 12 o'clock the quarter hour chimes correctly and then the hour does not chime. The 12 o'clock (12 bongs) instead chimes at 12:40.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure if got that. Repeating. Grandfather clock. Quarter Hour chimes correctly. Top of the hour chimes correctly EXCEPT 12 o'clock. At 12 o'clock the quarter hour chimes correctly and then the hour does not chime. The 12 o'clock (12 bongs) instead chimes at 12:40.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Clock Repair Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. There are several things to check. When the clock goes to chime 12 o'clock look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check to see if all the hammers are at the same height at rest. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime to 12 o'clock but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. The website at the bottom offers the best cleaning kit with a downloadable E BOOK that I recommend to my customers that come into my shop it has step by step instructions . Thanks Mike..If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you..www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.