Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I inherited a 1978 Howard Miller grandfather clock from my

Customer Question

I inherited a 1978 Howard Miller grandfather clock from my father-in-law. I moved it from Texas to Colorado using the moving instructions and set it up in my home. I was thrilled when everything appeared to work and it ran for 3 weeks as I was adjusting the time. I then noticed that the moon dial did indeed move so I looked for set up instructions which I found. The problem was that it was "stuck" and did not move at all. I've now waited for multiple time periods over several days. One time I did get the moon dial to advance maybe 1 1/2 inches and then it was stuck again. Since then I have again been unable to advance the dial at all and I'm concerned that I may have used too much pressure although I tried to be careful. Any ideas on how I can set this? One other note ... After the clock had been running perfectly with the rythmical tick- Tock I'm now noticing an additional annoying clicking sound that runs every 1-2 minutes for around 12 clicks. Did I screw something up in trying to adjust the moon dial? John *********, ***************. Thanks!
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi John, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. The moon dial inside the movement looks like a saw blade with a click spring on the edge the moon dial itself needs to be reset and making sure the click spring is in the correct position. To gain access you must go inside the movement to adjust the dial. Always remember to move the dial clockwise with very little pressure. Try this options out and let me know what happens and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I can locate an authorized Howard Miller clock repair shop in your area. Thanks Mike.If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mike - Thanks for giving me a starting point and diagram. I will look at it tomorrow. Any thoughts on the last past of the question . . . "One other note ... After the clock had been running perfectly with the rhythmical tick- tock I'm now noticing an additional annoying clicking sound that runs every 1-2 minutes for around 12 clicks. Did I screw something up in trying to adjust the moon dial? John *********, ***************. Thanks! "
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Help me get these two issues resolved and I will give you RAVE reviews. Thanks!
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi John, Yes if you turned the moon dial incorrectly or put to much pressure it might need adjusting it should only take very little pressure to turn the dial without knowing exactly what you did you might have caused a problem. For the extra clicking it could be several things it might be a loose or damaged sprocket or suspension spring or a piece of foreign debris without physically seeing the clock in person it is hard to tell if I had the clock at my shop I could figure out the problem. Try this options out and let me know what happens and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I can locate an authorized Howard Miller clock repair shop in your area. Thanks Mike.If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mike - Let me take a look at it and if I still have a problem I will take you up on your offer. My zip code is 80107. Thx.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mike - Isn't the suspension spring part of the assembly that the pendulum hangs on?
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi, OK please keep me posted and if you need to find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair shop in your area let me know. Yes there are 3 part to that assembly suspension spring, pendulum leader & pendulum. Thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mike, sorry for the delay. I didn't get a chance to work on the clock until today. I found the problem with the moon dial. The curved metal plate with 29 1/2 days above the moon dial had come off during shipment. I found replacement screws but discovered that they were slight too long and were putting pressure on the moon dial. This is why it didn't rotate freely. I replace those with shorter screws and moon dial now rotates easily. I checked the level on the clock. Adjusted the hammers to strike the bars and thought I was ready to go. I put the weights back on and pendulum and started it. 5-10 minutes later I noticed that the pendulum had stopped. I also noted that the minute hand had not moved. The tick-tock seems correct but obviously I have another problem. What could cause the pendulum to stop in 5-10 minutes and the minute to not move at all now? It was working find before I found the moon dial problem Suggestions? Thx.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi, The clock might be out of beat. First make sure the clock is level. Start by removing the pendulum from the pendulum leader. The crutch arm inserts through the pendulum leader about midway above where the pendulum hangs. Take hold of the pendulum leader and crutch arm (where the two meet) and gently move the crutch arm to one side, stopping once you feel slight resistance. Next, move the crutch arm/leader back to center. Swing the crutch arm/leader to the opposite side until you meet slight resistance. The swing from center to left should be equal to the swing from center to right (“A” and “B” distances, as shown below, must be equal). If the movement is out of beat, the swing distance from center to the left side will be unequal to the swing distance from center to the right side. To manually adjust the beat, you will need to push through the slight resistance on the “shorter” swing side so that free travel of the crutch arm is even on each side of center. Please note that several adjustments may be necessary until the crutch arm can be pushed an equal distance from center to left as it can from center to right. Once you have an even swing to each side of center, gently re-hang the pendulum onto the pendulum leader. Push the bottom of the pendulum no more than 1” to the left or right to start the pendulum. Listen carefully to the “tick-tock”. A rhythmic and evenly spaced “tick-tock” will indicate the mechanical movement is in proper beat. If the movement has an unevenly spaced “tick-tock”, the pendulum may stop swinging after a period of time - up to a few days after starting the movement. Repeat the process for manual mechanical beat adjustment until the movement is in proper beat. Try this options out and let me know what happens and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I can locate an authorized Howard Miller clock repair shop in your area. Thanks Mike.If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mike I will give this a try but I have a question. When I swing the pendulum it will run with a tick-tock for several minutes. During that time the hour hand does not advance at all. Does this make sense? I thought it would advance at least the 2-3 minutes that the pendulum is swinging. With this additional information, does it still make sense to try your instructions above?
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Yes the hour hand will move very slow but if the clock is out of beat the pendulum will always stop after a couple of minutes try the instructions above. Thanks MikePLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mike - I was able to get the pendulum swinging without stopping and it is keeping time but the beat sounds "off". The problem is I don't know what it should be. I've attached a file where I recorded the beat. Please play and let me know if this sounds correct to you or what I should do. We are making progress! Also, there appears to be some type of caulking or a rubber strip on the inside of the case holding the glass in place. Most of that has dried and broken off. What should I do to replace this a secure the glass? Is this some kind of rubber strip or simply a brown caulking compound? I'm hoping a rubber strip since I'm concerned about screwing up a caulking job and making it look cheap. I think we're almost done!
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi, It is a rubber or pliable plastic strip which you can buy at any craft or lowes or wal - mart stores. If the clock is still running it is in beat sounds correct. Thanks MikePLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.