Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

My tempus fugit grandfather has stopped chiming and I have

Customer Question

my tempus fugit grandfather has stopped chiming and I have lost my manual
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll coverall options for you to try. The Right weight is for the chimes the left is for the strike There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Make sure all the hammers are at least 1/8" above the chime rods at rest. Next look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. The website at the bottom offers the best cleaning kit with a downloadable E BOOK that I recommend to my customers that come into my shop. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike..If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you..www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answerby using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.