Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.

I am looking recommendation from you fo a clock repair tech

Customer Question

I am looking for a recommendation from you fo a clock repair tech to come to my house to fix my Howard Miller stopped chiming
JA: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.
Customer: It has been running perfect till this weekend I pulled the weights up like always and it stopped chiming and the only weight moving is the center. It is keeping perfect time though.
JA: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?
Customer: My partner stuck her hand up on the hammer thinking if she could manually make it chime the weight would then begin to move down. Clock was bought in 1993.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Clock Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike