Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a Triple Chime 612-581 Wall Clock that was my

Customer Question

I have a Howard Miller Triple Chime 612-581 Wall Clock that was my mother's. After hanging it, I found that when trying to wind the left most position will not turn at all. The center will wind normally. The far left will turn and I feel a tension develop as I turn but there are no clicks and the key will return to the original position when I release tension. It seems to run but doesn't chime or strike. Any suggestions?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Yes that has a 143 triple chime movement. There are several things to check. First you can remove the back panel to check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments but if it does chime continue running the clock manually this will allow the LEFT & RIGHT mainsprings loosen up. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. What happens is that the old gummy oil inside the coils of the mainsprings causes the coils to stick not being able to release the power to make the clock chime so it may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

.