Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

My son set my mother grandfather clock and did not stop to

Customer Question

My son set my mother grandfather clock and did not stop to let it chime. Now it will not chime at all. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Yes that isn't good you should always stop to let the clock chime I get this all the time in my shop. There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers
if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that
it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you I will have my husband try these. Great service
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Your Welcome please keep me posted. Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

.